Skip to main content

Letter to myself...


Me in 1985... Posted by Hello

To my 16 year-old self:
  • You ARE skinny. Just because you aren't anorexically thin, enjoy your sweet little body for what it is... it won't always be that way.
  • Be kind to your parents.
  • You are very confident, but that does not mean you are always right. The sooner you learn this, the happier you will be, and the happier others around you will be.
  • If you can find one, date a black guy maybe, just to get your parents used to the idea...
  • Keep taking French classes in college. You might want to quit, but don't.
  • Save some money...
  • Take lots of pictures - of all the stages of your life. You don't want to have a five year gap with hardly any pictures... trust me on this one.
  • Your friends will come and go. Learn now how to make new ones - it's a very valuable skill you'll need all your life.
  • Pursue your relationship with God - never take it for granted. It takes discipline, but always train yourself for righteousness... it won't just happen because you were blessed to be born into a family of faith.
  • Be careful of the girls who work with you at Alice's... they're trouble... be true to your convictions.
  • Pay your bills on time.
  • Don't quit college.
  • Don't perm your hair.
  • You don't need a lot of makeup. Remember this when you're getting ready for Junior Prom. Walk away from the eyeliner...
  • Go to Europe before you get married - do the backpack - hostel thing... it's too hard to do later in life.
  • Say no to VISA.
  • Wear sunscreen. Every day. You'll thank me when you're older, I promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Phlumpyschlumpy.

Good morning, peeps. It's Friday. There's frost outside this morning. *FROST!* This week has been ridiculously chilly. I'm having mixed feelings about blogging lately. Mostly because I feel like all I've been doing is whine about being tired. Or overwhelmed. And because comments are lacking. And because I can't seem to think about anything to write about except Tejan. And because some of the thoughts I'm having are too private for the blog - or too repetitive. Or too unformed to turn into actual words you all could understand. So I'm struggling a bit. And yet, I'm committed to documenting the process I'm in. So I'll keep writing when the words come. And when they don't, like this morning, when I looked at that intimidating blinking cursor and my mind went blank and I started to break out in a cold sweat and began by talking about the weather... well, then, I'll just gracefully (or not so gracefully) back out of the room... tail between m...

The floodgates have opened.

So, I was doing pretty well managing my emotions. I kept telling people that I had processed a lot of my grieving over Tejan's departure back in January - when we were so close to saying goodbye... and so that must be why I wasn't feeling overly emotional about it this time around. I hadn't shed any tears. Hadn't choked up in that strange, overwhelming way where I feel like my whole head is filling up with fluid and my throat is so constricted I'm just sure I'm going to die. Nope. I was doing just fine. And then I went out to dinner with some girlfriends. And while I was a little socially inept because I'm a kind of overwhelmed and not really wanting to talk too much lately (perhaps in subconscious fear that I might touch on a nerve that would cause my aforementioned steely resolve to crumble) I thought I got through the evening fairly well. I didn't tear up - or need tissue for any fluids defiantly leaking from my facial orifices... until I made the a...

A year of lists...

  I've been blessed with a wonderful online group of friends for about 8 years and am joining them this year for a blog challenge to post one list a week in an effort to revive our mostly neglected blogs... I'm hoping to post a list each Monday starting today! List #1 - 2013 in review January: I got my first dent in my six month old Kia Sorento and it was a doozy! The car was totaled in a 19 car pile up on an icy Spokane hill. We were blessed by our insurance with complete car replacement with upgrades. Sorento #2 is working out just fine! February: I turned 44 - Asia and I celebrated with a little Spokane staycation downtown. Asia started working at Spokane Therapist - seeing his first clients and beginning to build his private practice. March: Kyler decided to quit running... having decided not to pursue a running career in college, he wanted to free up that after school practice time to work more and save more money for college. I was proud of his...