Skip to main content

Ah, glorious Tuesday afternoon

Having just returned from teaching a class, I find myself enjoying what may well be the perfect afternoon...

  • The sun is out, shining brightly through the yellow and orange leaves still hanging onto thier trees... I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This is the most colorful and beautiful fall season I've enjoyed here in Spokane. The combination of no freezing temperatures and lots of sunshine have painted everything in fiery hues and it seems to just go on and on. I'm savoring it all, for I know winter is just around the corner, with it's grey days and weeks when the temperature stays below freezing.
  • I'm sitting on the deck, equipped with my laptop and a plate full of pumpkin pie. Gracie sits at my feet chewing on pine needles and maple seedpods. I love the clinky sound of her tag...
  • The kids won't be home for over an hour, and I've got two new magazines and a catalog to look at.
  • The only thing wrong is that with the angle I'm sitting at, I can see my reflection in my computer screen and I'm disturbed by my double chin. Is that what I look like? (Because when I primp and prepare for the day, it's not there.) Apparently this angle at which I view the screen is not the most flattering one I could assume. I'll have to be certain to go about my day with my chin up and neck muscles taut... one more thing to suck up...
  • I need to get to the car and empty out my hidden stash of S.'s birthday presents. She wants to re-do her room for her birthday. We decorated it in it's current state when she was three -- she'll be nine next month, so it's time. Yesterday as I was shopping at Target, I came across the cutest line of blue and green bedroom coordinates... I bought a whole cart full of blankets and pillows and accessories. I can't wait to paint and put it all together. For now though, I just need to find a place to hide it... The bags are big and my kids are snoopy. There must be a place I can stash it all in the basement... ah ha! I'll stick it under the stairs with the Christmas decorations - nobody ever looks in there - it's dark and scary.
  • Asia called this morning from Seattle. He was stuck in traffic - just like he was last night when he called. I answered the phone, only to hear him growl, "Why would anyone ever choose to live here?" I don't know, honey. We are so spoiled in Spokane... we complain when we have to drive all the way to the North Side, which is a whole ten miles from the South Hill, where we live. And forget about the Valley - that'll take fifteen minutes!!! We really are blessed with little to no traffic, beautiful weather (no rain!) and lots of great family oriented events - it's a perfect place to live... Seattle may have the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, great shopping and Ikea, but we don't have to spend hours in the car each week just getting from one place to another... I'll take little forgotten Spokane any day.
  • Feeding the kids with Daddy out of town is such an adventure. We take all sorts of assorted favorites and assemble them into makeshift meals that would never be up to muster with the big guy... Popcorn, yogurt and granola, toast and apples. It's a fun little break for all of us and they seem to enjoy being naughty mice while the cat's away. We have loads of fun together. My meal plan is put on hold until he gets back - a fun little reprieve.

Well, my time is running short and I want to make good use of this lovely afternoon, so I'm off...

By the way - I know there are several of you who visit often and never comment. I'm watching you... say hello sometime. I don't bite, I promise... In fact I will consider you a fast friend - comments are a quick and easy way into my heart.

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:27 PM

    Hey Cathy,
    It´s so fun seeing fall through your eyes. It is my favorite time of year as well. We are in spring which I usually enjoy as well but there are no daffodils or tulips to be found.

    I so understand your dinners without hubby there. I don´t have kids but Doug is a meat and potatoes man. I lived on my own for quite some time before I got married and if I wanted cereal for dinner that´s what I had...and that is exactly what happens when he goes away on trips. He is a wonderful friend and mate but I do enjoy the times when I can relive my single days for a moment. Wouldn´t want to go back there but it is fun to visit that place once in a while.

    Leana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:59 PM

    Cath
    We just heard that IKEA IS coming to Portland. It was official in the Oregonian this week. But won't open til early 2007 but we will gladly wait knowing it IS coming !
    Enjoy your week of leisure and fun..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:15 PM

    I want to come sit on your deck with you and contemplate the lovely day. I promise, if I were to do that, I would not look at the angle you were sitting and I most certainly would not notice the chin! Glad that you were able to enjoy some lovely alone time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read