Skip to main content

Happy Things

  • My neighbor called today... her kids had been here playing for a couple of hours and she offered to have all our kids come over for lunch and play at her house so I could wrap presents! That's exactly what I did - the space under the tree is looking much fuller now!
  • I was taking E. over to play at a friend's house a bit ago when he piped up from the backseat: "Mom, you know what's great about flashing shoes?" "What?" "When you're taking a walk with your Mom after dark, they light the way." That is cool, buddy.
  • Yumm Sauce from Cafe Yumm in Eugene. My sister-in-law LaChel turned me on to this stuff when I was visiting a couple of years ago and brought me two jars for Christmas last week. My favorite lunch right now is plain chicken breast in a tortilla with lots of Yumm Sauce - it's de-spankin'-licious.
  • Fudge. Lots of fudge.
  • My new Williams-Sonoma Fennel kitchen candle. A gift from my wonderful boss, Kathy. It smells SO yummy.
  • My favorite blanket. My girlfriend Brooke made me a fabulous, huge flannel quilted blanket a couple of years ago and I am literally wrapped in it all winter whenever I'm home. It keeps me so warm and makes me so happy.
  • My Christmas tree. I'm all about white lights, and gold and crystal ornaments. I bought some new glass balls this year in chocolate brown and copper - it's just be-yoo-tee-ful.
  • Stockings. I have so much fun buying things for my family. I love the little things they know will be in there each year - like new toothbrushes and bandaids to the chocolate orange in Asia's stocking. I get a new Yankee Candle every year and that makes me happy.
  • Pumpkin Pie and Popcorn for Christmas eve dinner. Since K.'s birthday is on Christmas Eve, we always go out for a big birthday lunch and are never very hungry for dinner. We started this tradition a few years ago, and it's the yummiest combination I can think of.
  • Advent. We are doing nightly advent readings with the kids and I love the anticipation of Christ's arrival - thinking of the little baby who changed the world and changes my heart each day... I love slowing down and taking the time to recognize the hugeness of that each evening around lit candles.
  • Christmas cards. Not mine so much this year, since they are generic Target cards, but the ones I receive. I love seeing how our friends' kids have grown and hearing updates on their lives. We are blessed with so many special people in our lives.
  • Breakfast for dinner. That's what we'll be having tonight, since I should be cooking right about now and am here blogging instead.
  • Scrapbooking - I love my job, my hobby, my passion and my art. It's more than pictures and paper. It's my creative fuel and the oomph that pushes me to remember all the happy things in my life in a tangible way...
  • Meeting Stacy Julian today... speaking of scrapbooking. This chick has changed scrapbooking in so many ways and for so many people. She came to the store today to chat with us and is so real and sweet and full of incredible ideas. I am inspired by her latest book as never before and can't wait to get to know her better. She's a Spokane girl - lucky us!
  • My pup. I adore this silly dog. I even like the way she smells, and she smells like a dog. Go figure.
  • Blogging. I love my bloggy friends. I love this daily prompt to record my life. I love that somebody - anybody - actually reads it.
  • Asia's garage door. He doesn't have an opener and so sometimes I go out before he gets home from work and open it up for him... he started interpreting that as some sort of signal, a sign, if you will, of romantic availability. I don't know where that came from, but it's sort of fun to have this very silly and simple way to tell him I love him and he might just get lucky. After thirteen years of marriage, anything that adds spice is good, I say. Even if it's a garage door.
  • Rain. I'm glad I don't live where it rains all the time anymore - but when it does rain here, I'm reminded of how much I like the sound of it.

Time to go open the garage door and get some pancakes started.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:00 PM

    Well, I love your blog a ton and I would not be happy if you didn't do this! SO.. thank you! If I stop blogging I will still continue to read and yours is on top of my list! I truly hope you have the best of Christmases! God Bless you and your family! Hugs! Tawnya

    P.S. If you do end up making that cake let me know. I think it is very yummy! :) Oh, and if I make another one.. I may try green/white candy canes or maybe even mix them up... could look cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tawnya - you cannot stop blogging. That's all there is to that!

    Kel - a few years ago I added a small tree so the kids would have one for all their gaudy kid ornaments... the big tree is all mine. Amber lights would be BEAUTIFUL. My neighbor has amber and white lights on the outside of her house and it's just gorgeous. I think amber is one of my very favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:37 AM

    Cate my friend --
    You are a writer! What fun to meet you, get a glimpse of what you bring to Cathy's store and now to read these tftdr -- I will soon be signing up for some classes and I can't wait to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:00 AM

    Cath
    Stacy J. ON YOUR BLOG -
    HOW COOL IS THAT !!!!
    You are practically a celebrity yourself !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read