Skip to main content

Ant.i.ci.pation

I realized I haven't really talked at all about my decision to give up chocolate for Lent.

This is something I do not take lightly.

Chocolate, I mean.

I love me my chocolate.

Generally, I have chocolate every day. Even if it just means opening up the freezer and stealing a handful of chocolate chips out of the huge Costco bag. Often it's a hershey's kiss from the stash in my studio. More often it's a dozen hershey's kisses from the stash.

With chocolate, I have very little self control. It totally possesses the control in our relationship. Which I'm usually okay with - it works for us. I'm totally willing to admit my subservience to it's melty power.

I've given it up before. Sometimes for l.o.n.g. periods of time. It's something I do as an act of worship. Which, if you aren't a Jesus-lover, probably sounds as weird as Mandisa's praise sounded to the judges last night on AI. But with chocolate, stepping out from under it's influence and using it's call to remind me of Christ's authority and love is a way I can train my mind toward spiritual things.

And it really works.

Well.

I am focused and purposeful and in control in a different way when I eliminate chocolate from my routine.

Of course, there are little challenges along the way. The day I began my journey, Ash Wednesday, was also the day I found out there is a new Chocolate Apothecary in downtown Spokane. We're talking a specialty chocolate shop with all sorts of imported delights to tempt and please the tongue. And I'm totally one who appreciates GOOD chocolate. European chocolate. I'll pay good money for it. There's really no comparison between the waxy excuse that Hershey's is and a wonderful imported chocolate. But I'm waiting. I'll go to the Chocolate Apothecary on Monday, April 17th. Won't that be yummy?

I think it's so valuable to train ourselves to wait for things. So much of our lives is instant. Email. Cell phones. Food. If I want to watch a show on tv, I just go to my 'recorded shows' menu on the DVR and watch something. If I need something, I go to the store and get it. What do we wait for anymore? Okay, vacations. But if you're like me, you spend hours and hours on the internet educating yourself before your vacation and mentally going to your destination... Gone are the days of anticipation, I'm afraid.

In my wait to experience the divine experience of the Chocolate Apothecary, I'm recognizing the value of a good wait. And I'm appreciating the gift of chocolate for what it is.

Every good and perfect gift comes from above... chocolate included.

When I stop the madness of my every day chocolate consumption, I learn to appreciate it in new ways... to acknowledge it's goodness as a gift from a God who wants us to enjoy life.

It's all about slowing down.

Thinking.

Processing.

No more auto-pilot.

At least until April 17th.

Comments

  1. Okay, Kel. But only if you embroider one for me too.

    I insist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:32 AM

    Cathy,
    I appreciate your sentiments about waiting, about not being on auto-pilot. I have Type 1 diabetes, and every day is a decision to be aware to think about what I'm eating, how I'm managing. And some days, I do everything I'm supposed to do, and it does not lead to the healthy results I want. I am learning not to give in at that moment. To not say, "The hell with it!"

    Thanks for the reminder to be aware.

    HMBalison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:31 AM

    I'm so with you on this one! I also gave up chocolate for lent. Not an easy thing for sure so you have no idea how much your post has really got to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:07 PM

    I agree...chocolate is definitely a gift from above...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really should participate in the part of Lent that says you get to celebrate on Sundays. This is legal cheating!! The kids look forward to Sundays because Danny wakes them up with a piece of candy. Seriously, there is a wonderful rhythm to denying yourself all week and then celebrating on Sunday.

    Have fun in Astoria!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read