Skip to main content

"Whoa! That's got like a lemony touch to it..."

That title is what I just heard E. say from the kitchen. He and S. are cracking and tasting a whole coconut left over from our luau party decorations... I think he just tasted the coconut milk. Perhaps there's a future in restaurant critiquing for this guy...

There's a girlie at the coffee shop I go to most often who has the most fabulous, long, dreadlocked hair. Some days she weaves shells into her hair. And sometimes beads. It doesn't hurt that she's about a size -2 and has a gorgeous face, but I pretty much want to marry her.

Yesterday, S. told me we should ask her name, so that we don't always have to call her "Dreadlock Girl."

So we did.

Her name is Brandy.

We all pretty much have a crush on Brandy.

She lives just around the corner from us. I haven't told her I know that, because that would seem stalker-ish. But I recognize her car and I see her walking her dog all the time. She burns incense in her flower beds.

I've always been intruiged by free spirits. I used to imagine myself one, but I know in my heart that there is too much stuffiness and ugly traces of legalism in me to truly have that 'I don't care what anyone thinks of me' attitude. It's admirable to be so true to yourself, I think.

My friend Corey has spent the last almost 20 years slowly letting her free spirit come out. It's a journey I have loved watching. She's more beautiful now than ever. Really.

I think being a Christian and a free spirit is a fabulous combination. I know a couple of these people, but they are few and far between. Organized religion has very little room for free spirits to move and stretch their wings. I think there are a lot more out there who have been boxed in and are just dying to know what it feels like to burst out... I think probably they're terribly afraid of the reaction they would get. And unfortunately, the reaction in a large percentage of churches would not be good.

(Just a little sidenote to acknowledge that I had no idea this is what I would write about today and that I'm not sure how I went from lemony coconut milk to repressed free-spirits... but I'm going with it...)

But think with me here. What if Brandy, (who obviously is not concerned with conventional appearances and is totally comfortable being different) were a believer? That ability to press on in her beliefs about who she is without fear of rejection or judgement could translate into an amazing ability to talk to people about Jesus. And to be a walking talking picture of how Jesus loves us - not for our outward appearance or social acceptability - but because he's GOD! And he is LOVE.

I don't know. I wish the church loved people completely, without expectation or uniforms or judgement.

I think my church does a decent job at this. But I know that the ex-church looks down it's nose at churches like mine...

I just think Brandy should have a church she could show up at and just be loved. Not 'looked at' or talked about... just loved. 'Cause I love her. And I'd love to have her by my side in heaven.

And heck, that's better than marrying her.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:19 AM

    I think we have all been drawn into Dreadlock girl life, she was a steady customer at the greenhouse this summer and was wanting to work at the greenhouse. And by the way she is no way a size 2, brianne is a size 2 and she would look hugh next to Brandy. More like she is a size minus zero. Ahh

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's awesome! i have a crush on my favorite coffee shop girl too. she's totally funky, my exact opposite, and she's a photographer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen amen I say again... A M E N!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:03 PM

    See now you know why I plan on dreadlocks with different coloured wool from all over the world woven in... thanks for liking me even though I sometimes just do stuff to rock the religious boat - you will never know how much I need to be "allowed" to be me... this last year when I had my nose pierced and had maroon hair at 36 - I was scared my dad(pastor) would be dissappointed (probably the only person I worried about, actually) - he went out with me in public for lunch and at the end of the meal he said "You look beautiful.." I will hold it to my heart forever - acceptance for the free spirit is so releasing... not because they are rebellious, but they desire to "wear life" like a costume - to expose the deep places - I know this is who you are too... that is why we have been friends these many, many years-
    I did a writing exercise a few years ago where the opening line was
    "My life without fear... " The journalling coach read my entry and the day this poet/writer left town- she gave me a fake nose ring and said "Live without fear!" I have spent the last few years doing stuff on the list and believing in the freedom that was in my heart that was held by fears - it has been a huge part of my journey.
    Thanks again for your kind words about me and I say to you... break of the judgement/expectation and live with the ache of freedom - you were that kind of little girl, I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have anything wise to say, Cathy, but this entry made me smile. For the heart that you have. And the good things you focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:02 AM

    Cathy,
    Isnt it awesome that God loves us and doesnt care what color hair we have, or what we do with it, or what we dont do with it for that matter? Yup, people are very judgemental unfortunatley but being a servant doesnt require a certain "uniform"...

    we should talk more about this

    I.Love.You.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a very Donald Miller blog entry, and I'm shouting AMEN. You go girl! We SO need a free spirit weekend. Wouldn't that be fun? We culd burn incense and pierce stuff and pray together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know who Brandy is, and I have a crush on her, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cathy! Have you read Donald Miller's book Blue Like Jazz? Your post made me think of that book. I think you would like it.

    I have a quote on my wall that I love and it says "And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." (Anais Nin) Don't you love that??!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chrissy - I LOVED Blue Like Jazz. I've got "Searching For God Knows What" on my nightstand, waiting to be read next. I cried over and over as I read BLJ, because there were so many profoundly deep things Donald Miller said in there that are so sad about Christianity - yet so true.

    I think there's a lot Christians need to do to change the way we interact with the world...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read