Skip to main content

Sunday musings

I woke up early this morning...

I've slept hard all week - it's been a heckuva ten days...
  • our accident on the 10th
  • a major 'special event' at work that I was in charge of on the 12th - a 10 hour day
  • 15 minutes of fame on the 15th when my newspaper article came out
  • lots of phone calls and waiting on phone calls to finally hear on the 16th that the car was totaled
  • one chiropractic adjustment and two massages
  • transitioning from two meetings back-to-back on Saturdays to three, which yesterday we managed to pull off with our computer down and being short-staffed - I ended up working until 1:00 a shift that should have ended at 11:30.
It's been a lot.

My sweet Savannah, who came back from Africa with a forever-changed perspective on the world, keeps reminding me when I get impatient with the whole insurance process... "First-world problem, Mom..."

And she is, of course, perfectly right.

My aching and tired body still gets to crawl into bed every night in a huge house with heat and cupboards full of food.

I won't complain about having to wait on insurance employees who take their time processing my claim. They are going to replace my car. No questions asked. Full replacement with no deduction for depreciation. If I have to wait a few weeks for my brand-spanking-new-car I can do that.

My busy-ness at work and extra responsibilities there are a HUGE blessing... I have the privilege of building into hundreds of people every week - giving them confidence and inspiration to change their lives and work toward good health... January is CRAZY at Weight Watchers. So I work a few extra hours and I manage huge crowds and I stress out over trying to connect with all of them in some sort of caring, genuine way so they will come back... but it's all worth it. When someone says "I LOVE my life now... I feel comfortable in my own skin... my doctor is amazed at how my numbers have come down..." it's all worth it.

We are in the thick of helping Kyler decide what to do with himself next year... it's a strange and painful process sometimes, this letting go. He recently got a promotion at Safeway - they approached him and asked him if he wanted to be a checker... which is two steps up from courtesy clerk. We are proud of him for being the kind of employee that gets noticed and rewarded for hard work. At 18, he has already 'moved up' in the grocery store world. Helping him choose a college - determining where is a good fit for him - trying to help him avoid thousands of dollars of student debt... it's all pretty stressful. No one gives you a guidebook for this and I'm convinced that our educational system that pushes kids to decide what they want to be at such a young age often does them a huge disservice. So wading through choices with him and letting him decide his own future... it's hard. But he's a good kid. And I pray that God will guide him and he will learn life's lessons easily.

Lots of other stuff on my mind lately... winter has a way of making me even more introspective and ponderific... thinking about church and relationships and my own journey with health and marriage and home...

Makes me want to light a candle and hunker down and recite a prayer and rest in God's peace that passes understanding...

Gotta make time for that... that's where I find my center in all the chaos.



Comments

  1. yes...so many things to think on in winter...many "irons in the fire" for you in this busy season of your life~ I watch you handle it with grace & care. I, too, am pondering my church relationships, friendships...many things at this time of my life...you think it would be static by now yet, I would probably find that boring :)no growth as they say ~!

    blessings today to my friend xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, Cathy, I'm so glad for you sharing your heart here. Because it spoke to me, too, in a way where I just need to let God sift through all the busy-ness in my head. What a beautiful insight for winter. Xo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read