Skip to main content

Growing pains

Anyone who knows E. knows Lovey Bear... The only one of my children to embrace a stuffed animal (or blanket or other such "security" item), E. has slept with this guy for almost five years. It's been quite awhile that I've been worried about Lovey's condition. I used to wash him regularly - E. would suck on his ears and then get upset when they dried all crunchy and hard, so into the wash he would go. He would always come out all fresh and soft... but I had to stop washing him for fear that all that tumbling would cause permanent damage. His tags, which have been the most 'soothing' part of Lovey, have been rubbed together every night as E. fell asleep, creating a tiny hole near where they're inserted into his left leg.

Lovey has become the definition of threadbare. He is SO worn out - if he got a bigger hole in him, there would be no way to sew it up - there just isn't enough fabric to work with.

With this in mind, I told E. last night that we were going to have to think about putting Lovey on a shelf so he didn't break. Oh - the tears! It's so sweet - and yet there was just nothing I could do but insist that it was for the best. I told him he didn't have to do it right away, but that for sure before he turned 6, (in less than four months) we would have to put the much-loved bear up for good.


After about 20 minutes in bed, I heard E. calling me, so I got up and went to his room. In his bravest big boy voice, he told me "This day is the day I'll do it. I'm ready." I had negoitated a new bear into the bargain, so we agreed that we would take a trip to the store in the morning to find a new special bear, and a shelf we could install above his bed where Lovey could always watch over him.

So today we went. Target has LOTS of cheap stuffed animals - narrowing the choices down took at least 10 minutes. After eliminating all the kitties and puppies (and fish) that initially caught his eye, we narrowed it down to two bears. He gave them both the "snuggle test". The smaller of the two won out, and he immediately named it "Lovey Bear Two".

I'm personally feeling a little threatened by this new little furball. He certainly doesn't have any of Lovey's charm - he's like a little imposter... especially with the name. We all tried to convince E. that a new, totally different name would be better, but he insisted on the LB2 name. In an amazing show of maturity and acceptance of life's hard facts, E. has totally embraced the new kid on the bed.

LB2 was put to the test right away, as E. did the worst Goins' kid face-plant to date in the Target parking lot. I heard his head 'thunk' on the ground and was sure we'd be dealing with broken teeth or a split open chin. I was relieved to see that while it was extremely bloody, it didn't warrant a trip to the ER. Poor boy has major road rash all over his face, and his nose will most likely be bruised, but he's okay. We pulled the new bear out of the shopping bag as soon as we remembered he was there, and E. embraced him in his best 'I need you' hug, and took comfort from the substitute bear as easily as if it were the original.

We still need to install the honorary Lovey shelf above the bed. I know we will all take comfort knowing this loyal little guy will be nearby as E. sleeps each night. I don't understand it, but it's harder for me to let him go onto the shelf than it is for my baby. It reminds me of how disappointed I was each time I weaned one of the kids that it wasn't harder for them to let go of that special nursing ritual... or of when we told E. he had to get rid of his pacifier and he took it and threw it into the garbage.

It's all about watching my babies grow up.

Does it ever get any easier?

Maybe I'll sleep with Lovey tonight.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:36 PM

    Cathy
    That was SO SAD...
    Lovey is so special but what a little man !!
    Have you read him "The Velveteen
    Rabbit ?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly - believe me, I searched the world over for another bear just like Lovey. There just aren't any anywhere. I tried to find one just months after E. got him and I saw the extent of his affection for the bear... alas, there were none to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom - yes, we read the Velveteen Rabbit yesterday before we went to the store... there were still some tears at bedtime, even with Lovey on the shelf right above his pillow. We decided Saturday nights would be "Lovey nights", so he can sleep with him once a week... I think he'll hold up through once a week sleeps for quite awhile...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:26 PM

    I love the Lovey Bear 2 name.....Somewhere in my memory banks as rusty as they are, I seem to remember the name Softie Bear....do you still have him and where does the inspiration for such weird names come from? My children name all their "pets" people names....what does that say about me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corey - I still have Softie Bear, although to be completely honest, I'm not sure where he is right now... seems like I gave him to E. one night when he was scared or something and now I don't think I've seen him for quite awhile. I may need to investigate that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:18 PM

    Hi Cathy...
    Loved your story here. Are you scrapbooking this?! And Terra Berglund had a bear that Lotus and I bought for her when she was 5 and she immediately named him Softie. She still has him. What a sweet story. Jan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read