Skip to main content

Mem'ries

At girls' night last night there was a discussion about junior high. One of the moms was dealing with a daughter who is really struggling with eighth grade. Someone asked the question "Would you ever go back to junior high?" and the table erupted with adamant "NO WAY"s and "NEVER!"s and groans... I didn't speak up, because while I have no desire to actually go back in time, if I had to pick a time, junior high wouldn't be on the bottom of my list. In fact, it might even be quite high as far as times I would enjoy returning to. Now college, no way. I felt SO lost on a huge campus and hated the feeling of being completely anonymous. After growing up in a place small enough that you knew and were known by everyone, college was overwhelming. Plus, I had a huge chip on my shoulder about not being able to afford the small private college I had dreamed of attending. No, please, Time Travel Gods - don't ever send me back to college. Junior high, though, I'd do.

I was fortunate enough to go to a small country school that had grades K through Eight. In Junior High, you moved to the Upper Hall - that glorious advancement where you switched classrooms and learned from eccentric, even notorious teachers. The Upper Hall was full of dark stained wood, stairways and the smell of musty formaldehyde. There, I experienced Mrs. Gates, the chain smoking English teacher who, in spite of her body odor and greasy hair, pushed me to read and learn to love great literature. Mr. Ferraro - with his closet containing a real baby in a jar and the secret passageway to Mrs. Gates classroom... and Ferraro Bombs - wads of paper he'd throw at students in the middle of stressful tests. Mr. Bernie - the math teacher I had an incredible crush on, and Mr. Connelly - the totally geeky social studies teacher who LOVED junior high students - it just emanated from his every word and action. I loved being a student there. I flourished, succeeding at everything I tried - Advanced Band (first chair, clarinet), Student Body President, Honors... I was a big fish in a little pond who thought the world revolved around me. And there, it sort of did.

But I also loved being a friend there. Having gone to school with the same group of kids my whole life, junior high was our crowning glory. And I thrived within the safe walls of my community of friends. We had all been through years of crushes and break ups, fighting and making up, learning and field tripping and laughing - and now, we ruled the school. I was popular. Secure. Confident. I honestly don't remember the struggle I hear others mention whenever the topic of Junior High comes up. I was comfortable in my own skin, sure of myself, and ready to take on the world.

I'm not sure what happened between then and now... except that God has done much in my heart. Real life is nothing like the cocoon I went to junior high in. Friends you've known your whole life? VERY unusual. Popular? I don't even know what that would look like. Confident? Nah - not so much anymore. Secure? Only in God - cause circumstances are a sandy pit of constant change. Comfortable in my own skin, I'm working on, and think I'm doing okay there... but in general, I don't have a tenth of the chutzpah I had in junior high. I'm sure it's all part of God's work in me - because for all the good things I was back then, I am now ten times more humble, teachable, loving and dependent on Him.

But yea, I'd go back. Just to hang with Lana and Monte and Greg and have a maple bar in the cafeteria and torment Mrs. Uhlbrand in the library - sure. I'd go back. In a heartbeat.

Comments

  1. Hey, I had Mrs Gates for math in the 8th grade except for her name was Mrs. Mason (aka Mace face or Dragon Breath). Yes, you were silent on that topic last night. Funny how different it is. I loved college more than anything! I'd love to go back to that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were so blessed not to have to go to that scary Astoria Middle School with all those hoodlums from the big city. 7th & 8th grade at L&C was king of the hill, in more ways than one. The teachers were just strange enough to keep things interesting. I would do Jr. High again, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:11 PM

    It's official - you are my soul sister. Honestly, you are the only other person I've ever heard describe jr. high as I remember it... right down to first chair clarinet. Every single word you wrote made me say, "yes, that's how it was. Yes, that's how I felt. Yes, life was grand back then." And, although I don't wish to go back, I would chose that place and time over any other in my life... if I had to choose. I love this entry, and I love knowing that I have a soul sister out there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read