Skip to main content

Turkey Lurkey

I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am about our Thanksgiving dinner buffet today. I LOVE buffets. Not old people buffets with four-hundred pound people who stay all day - but really good, fancy restaurant buffets with a thousand different desserts and all the trimmings and fancy meat carving men with tall white hats and black and white chef pants.

Gracie and I took a L--O--N--G walk this morning. I may just take another one later - just to make room for food. After all, it's Thanksgiving.

We're leaving in about an hour to walk over to our neighbor/friends' house for Thanksgiving breakfast. The Copleys are some of our best friends. They have four children, all similar ages to ours and they live just around the corner. Last year, on Christmas eve, we came home from church to find a pan full of "Copley Christmas Crap" - the traditional christmas morning dish they've enjoyed year after year. We warmed it up on Christmas morning and hopefully, started a new tradition. John Copley, the Dad/Cook of the family promises to share a dish with us each year we're in town...

Turns out Copely Christmas Crap is also Copley Thanksgiving Crap. So we're heading over to indulge on this delicious egg/sausage/cheese extrazaganza here just as soon as everyone is ready.

We'll go out to dinner with the Copleys too. Fun. All our kids get along so well, and we've spent several Thanksgivings with them over the years. In fact, now that I think about it, the last three years, we've been together on this holiday. It's becoming a bit of a tradition, I guess. The Thanksgiving Crap is a new addition to the tradition, as is going out for dinner.

Here's the short list of things I'm thankful for: (I'll forego all the obvious ones... family, friends, blah blah blah. These are the little somethings that make me happy in life. Call me flippant. Whatever. I'm thankful for the little things too.)
  • Coffee each morning.
  • Gracie's floppy lips.
  • Asia's floppy lips.
  • Just kidding about that last one.
  • Citrus scented Pledge.
  • My jingle bell tree.
  • My car.
  • The promise of a new kitchen.
  • My kids' snuggly warmth at bedtime.
  • Memories of Paris.
  • A good hairdresser.
  • Friendships.
  • My blog.
  • My job.
  • The Message.
  • Downey.
  • Slippers.
  • My electric blanket.
  • The companionship of a pup who follows me from room to room.
  • My comfy chair.
  • My laptop.
  • My new church.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:26 AM

    I LOVE YOUR LIST. It is perfect. I laughed when I saw that the jingle bell tree made the list. I think my jbt would be on my list too. It's the perfect tree, don't 'cha think?

    Cathy, when you are feeling overwhelmed by the dust and chaos, remember this list. Just hold on to the thought of all these wonderful things. The thought will give you stength.

    And, BONUS about the Copleys. I want neighbors like that. What a blessing in your life. COOL BEANS!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read