Skip to main content

This and That.

Good morning, chums.

It's Friday. And I'm officially done with all my school PTG responsiblities as of yesterday. And that feels good. Oh sure, there's still the 6th grade reception on Thursday that I'm in charge of, but that's more of a regular volunteer thing, instead of an official PTG thing... so I'm going with this liberating feeling of freedom that's coursing through my veins. The last edition of the school newspaper should be out on Wednesday - it's at the printers now, so it's out of my hands... I've loved my role at school this year - and am really looking forward to doing it again next year... but it's great to be done for now.

We're sort of beginning to look at cars... mine is getting pretty high miles on it and it gets terrible gas mileage... Of course it does. It's an SUV. But I do LOVE my car. And will only replace it if we can find something that seats 7, isn't a van, but gets better gas mileage - by at least 5 miles per gallon. We'll see. I don't really want to get something else, but it may be time... I hate car shopping. Hate how ridiculously expensive cars have become. It's obscene. And Asia doesn't do older cars... so we end up buying a little more often than I'd like... and it goes against my better judgement. It feels indulgent and silly to spend a lot of $$$ on something that just gets me from point A to point B.

So there. That's what I'm thinking about that.

Kept meaning to get around to posting this picture of Asia and his brother Aaron. We got to see him for the first time in 15 years when we were in Tampa before and after the cruise.

Can you say adorable?

Fortunately, we've talked to Aaron regularly over the phone for all these years. He has a webcam, and we talk over instant messaging a lot, so I didn't feel like he was a stranger at all. I already knew I loved this kid. But in person, he's even more adorable and charming and lovable than ever.

At the airport when he picked us up, he jumped out of the car to help put our luggage in the trunk and give us hugs... Asia gave him a big bear hug, then when Aaron was throwing stuff in the back, stopped him again and just held his little brother's face in his hands... just looking at him and taking him in after fifteen years... it was a 'brotherly love' moment like I've never seen. I wished I had my camera out to get a picture of it. But I'll never forget it.

They're peas in a pod, these two.

They like the same books.

The same games.

The same television and movies.

A couple of geeks, I tell ya.

But they're sure a handsome pair, eh?

Okay. Time to go to work.

Happy Friday, friends. Smoochie smooch.

Comments

  1. We just got back from buying our new (used) car. It is a 2003 Chevey Impala with only 30,000 miles on it. We got it for $8900. Nothing fancy, but it will get us where we need to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:32 PM

    Cathy,
    How can brothers not see each other for 15 years? I have 4 sisters, and I can answer that questin: very easily. It's terrible, isn't it? I'm glad Asia and his brother have stayed as close as possible. I loved the moment of Asia holding his brother's face in his hands. It made me teary. I guess it's because of the 4 sisters I have, only one is committed to being that connected. Asia is lucky.

    HMBalison

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read