Skip to main content

Home safe and sound

Hi friends.

We're home. A day early.

Surgery went well. No complications - and they were able to do what they set out to do.

We had a rough night last night - with T. waking up every couple of hours in pain... then fighting the pain meds because he didn't like the taste, and then having to wait a half hour for the meds to start working while he moaned and cried. It was exhausting, to say the least.

I found myself at about 3:00 am pretty convinced that I was going to have to have a good solid cry... but I managed to hold it together ...mmmmostly. I was just so tired. And struggling with knowing how best to comfort him... With my own kids I would have just crawled into bed and snuggled up next to them to hold them tight until they settled down. But there are some pretty major cultural differences we face with Tejan, and that wouldn't have worked for him. I'm thankful that prayer and scripture has a calming effect on him... he loves to have stories read from the bible.

We are managing his pain pretty well today - or so it appears. We'll see how the night goes, as he was much better in the daytime yesterday as well and didn't really struggle with the pain until night. I'm praying for better rest for both of us tonight. I'll be up a couple of times to give him medicine, but other than that, I'm looking forward to at least a few solid hours in my own bed.

He is up and walking with a walker... he does pretty well with it. He needs to take it easy for six weeks - which means no bike riding and no soccer. We'll fight that battle as we come to it... I'm sure it will be difficult for this very active boy.

All in all I'm feeling a little more empowered tonight than I was in the wee hours... it's good to be home, where the kids help distract him from being sore and I've got my sweet husband to shore me up.

And just so you all understand, I'm no great hero for taking this on. It's just what I knew in my heart God had for me. I can take no credit for it. Honestly - the drive to provide a safe place for him is as real to me as it would be if one of my own children had these needs. You just do it. You just face what comes, knowing that God miraculously prepares and strengthens and gives peace and wisdom. Have I enjoyed every moment? Not at all. Do I hear angels singing my praises day and night? Nope. Am I more spiritual in some way than the rest of you? No. NO!

No. But I do possess the gentle contentment of complete conviction that God brought me here.

And that in itself is enough blessing.

Even at 3:00 in the morning.
Even through my tears of inadaquacy.
And yes, even if I have to get up ten times tonight...

Comments

  1. Anonymous9:29 PM

    thank goodness you are home, i was so worried, i hope you get some sleep tonight and will call you friday, i hope Tejuan is able to sleep tonite also and gets better every day. achh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read