Skip to main content

10.

  1. Fall has definitely arrived in Spokane. It's COLD out there this morning. And the leaves are turning... I think it's the first year I'm not really ready... I want more sun! (Warm sun, specifically.)
  2. Saturday morning my friend Ashley is going to do a photo shoot with our family. I'm so excited. It's so hard to get a good family picture. It usually entails me setting my camera on a rock or a garbage can lid and then starting the timer and running frantically to make it in the shot... needless to say, those aren't our best shots. Ashley's just starting out her photography business - but I've seen her work for years and am thrilled to get in with her before she becomes all famous and too busy!
  3. I had a great weekend on ebay - I sold four old vintage Pelham puppets that I got at a garage sale over a year ago... and then I got a huge box of unopened vintage crepe paper at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago... paid $15 total for the puppets and the paper - sold it all in separate auctions over the weekend for over $215. Funny what people will pay for stuff. One of the puppets went for over $60. And they're ugly... but collectible, I guess... whatever - it's more $$$ for the Africa fund!
  4. Gracie has become obsessed with squirrel chasing the last few days. She's always liked chasing them, being a dog and all, but lately the squirrels are driving her crazy because there are so many of them in the back yard making all their last minute provisions for the winter. I'd bet yesterday the silly dog asked to be let out close to 30 times - running like crazy across the deck and leaping into the yard, only to be too slow each and every time. Thank goodness. I'd hate to see what happened if she caught one...
  5. Kyler has his first cross country meet today. I'm eager to see how he does. He's such a funny runner - because he's good - but he's not competitive at all. Weird. He just kind of saunters along at his own pace and then manages to place pretty well... funny kid.
  6. Speaking of Kyler - we were informed on Sunday that he had to have a new calculator THIS WEEK for his math class... his old one didn't have graphing capabilities, whatever that means... so we went to the store to buy his new calculator after church on Sunday. And guess what? Graphing calculators are $120. What? Whatever happened to school supplies like a $.25 box of crayons and a package of lined paper? Fortunately, after making some calls we found a friend who had one she's willing to sell him for quite a discount... I would like to take this opportunity to say that when I was in school, we did all our graphing on paper, with pencils. By hand. Uphill both ways through a foot of snow...
  7. Asia and I are getting excited for our trip to Santa Barbara at the end of next month for his dad's wedding... Asia has to go in and get fitted for his tux - and I tried on my dress the other day to make sure it wasn't going to be too big... I don't think I've ever been to Santa Barbara, except maybe to drive through it. We're leaving the kids - so it will be a nice little getaway for us! We've got friends lined up to stay with the kids already...
  8. We had a potluck/recipe exchange/recipe book class at the store on Saturday... it was such a fun event - with SO much good food. I made a Fresh Tomato Tart adapted from this recipe. Yum. If you've got tomatoes coming out your ears, this is a great way to use them! I used fresh basil and substituted mozzarella cheese and made it in a tart pan instead of a pie plate. It was pretty darn tasty.
  9. Money Saving Mom has become one of my very favorite blogs... I read it every day and find out about LOTS of ways to save money. She also has great posts on making the most of store promotions - specifically at places like Rite Aid and Walgreens. It's a bit of work, but last month, I got over $80 worth of stuff at Walgreens for free. Money Saving Mom really takes most of the work out of it and I'm all about saving $$$ these days. If you've got the time to make it work, it's worth the effort in my book.
  10. Happy Tuesday friends. Smooch you all!

Comments

  1. Thanks for the "linky love", Cathy! : )

    I am very excited about your photo shoot - is gracie going to join us??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read