Skip to main content

Africa and other scary things

Yesterday in the mail I got my training manual for my trip to Africa.

I read through the whole thing last night.

And I'm freaked right out.

I honestly can't believe I'm actually going to do this.

So I'm going to start writing out my fears, and if you're the praying sort, you can start praying. Because if there's one thing I learned when Tejan was here - it's that being prayed for is the best thing in all the world. Especially in the midst of fear and confusion.

So here we go:
  • I'm nervous about the hours and hours and hours of travel. I don't sleep well in my own bed. How will I ever sleep on a plane? And how will I ever be effective in Sierra Leone if I arrive totally sleep deprived?
  • I'm concerned about getting sick. Travel is never good for my digestive system - and when you add strange diseases and new germs to the mix I'm afraid I'm going to be miserable.
  • I'm going with a team of people I've never met (except for one) and I won't meet them until the day we fly out. I won't have Asia to be my social liason. How will I do with these total strangers?
  • What in the world do I take on a trip to Africa? Which shoes? Which clothes? Do I take makeup? What will I do with my hair? Am I going to take my contacts along or just wear my glasses the whole time?
  • How am I ever going to manage to say goodbye to Tejan again?

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Frankly, I'm could easily be consumed with fear and doubt. But I don't really want to go there. I want to trust God with all of this... but it's so hard. I couldn't sleep last night while all of these questions ran through my mind...

It's really scary to walk into another venture when I know God will use it to break my heart even further...

So if you're the praying sort...

Comments

  1. I'm so excited that you get to go there and visit adn experience Tejan in his home. I iwll be praying for you and will be praying how I can support you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:10 PM

    Cathy
    We will be praying for you too. Things always seem scary when they are the unknown. You will do great. God has been leading you thru all of this from that first day we were in church with you and that little note was in the bulletin asking for a family to take Tejan in. Just look what He has done since then. He is all powerful and will take care of you every mile of the trip !
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:40 AM

    Praying for your trip and most of all for fear to subside. God is with you EVERY step of the way. Godspeed!

    PS Love your new look here on your page. I haven't visited in a while. I gotta catch UP! It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of those fears you listed are things I worry about to when traveling.
    But you know you are right about the power of prayer. I will pray for you as I know many, many others will :0)
    And I am so excited for you at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:31 PM

    Cathy,
    You can do this. You have been called to do this. Fear is not from Him.

    Worship is what gets me through times of fear... here is a favorite song of mine...

    All His Best, love, Tawnya


    "Strong Tower"

    When I wander through the desert
    And I'm longing for my home
    All my dreams have gone astray
    When I'm stranded in the valley
    And I'm tired and all alone
    It seems like I've lost my way

    I go running to your mountain
    Where your mercy sets me free

    [chorus]
    You are my strong tower
    Shelter over me
    Beautiful and mighty
    Everlasting King
    You are my strong tower
    Fortress when I'm weak
    Your name is true and holy
    And Your face is all I seek

    In the middle of my darkness
    In the midst of all my fear
    You're my refuge and my hope
    When the storm of life is raging
    And the thunder's all I hear
    You speak softly to my soul

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read

Phlumpyschlumpy.

Good morning, peeps. It's Friday. There's frost outside this morning. *FROST!* This week has been ridiculously chilly. I'm having mixed feelings about blogging lately. Mostly because I feel like all I've been doing is whine about being tired. Or overwhelmed. And because comments are lacking. And because I can't seem to think about anything to write about except Tejan. And because some of the thoughts I'm having are too private for the blog - or too repetitive. Or too unformed to turn into actual words you all could understand. So I'm struggling a bit. And yet, I'm committed to documenting the process I'm in. So I'll keep writing when the words come. And when they don't, like this morning, when I looked at that intimidating blinking cursor and my mind went blank and I started to break out in a cold sweat and began by talking about the weather... well, then, I'll just gracefully (or not so gracefully) back out of the room... tail between m