Skip to main content

Such a good mom...

So the other day we were talking about belly buttons, Savannah, Ethan and I.

About the shape of ours. Savannah is the only one in the family that doesn't have an innie. Hers is sort of a modified outie. It's quite cute. But different for sure from the rest of us. (Although I can honestly say that in 16 years of marriage, I've never really studied Asia's and I'm not altogether sure what his looks like...)

But I digress.

So we were showing our belly buttons to each other.

And when E. lifted up his shirt, I was mortified to see a deep dark cavern full of ...stuff.

Grey. Fuzzy. Lint.

And lots of it.

It was almost time for school, so we couldn't do anything about it right then. But I promised him that he would be taking a nice long bath that night. And cleaning out the nether regions of that nasty, scary belly button.

He immediately complained "But I don't like touching in there! It feels funny!"

"I know it does. But that's just gross. You're getting it out. Tonight!"

And with that, I sent him out the door to school.

So that evening, we filled up the tub nice and high and added bubble bath. I explained the intricate methodologies involved in cleaning one's belly button. Because obviously, I hadn't done that well detailing those little tidbits of personal hygeine in the past. I armed him with a handful of Q-tips and left him to his digging.

About ten minutes later, I heard him calling me from the bathroom.

I wandered down the hall...

When I opened the door to the bathroom, E. looked up at me with a worried expression. On the side of the tub were three of the largest chunks of belly button gunk I've ever seen, and as if he could read my mind, he asked, his voice trembling just a bit,

"Mom," he eyeballed the little piles on the side of the tub, "are those important parts of my belly button?"

I assured him that they were all parts he could stand to lose, all the while keeping my gag reflex in check. After asking if his belly button was in fact clean, and hearing that there was still more in there but that he 'felt funny' from digging all that out, I gave him a reprieve.

We'll tackle the rest of it during another bath.

Just a word of advice to my Momma friends. When your kids get old enough to bathe themselves, perhaps you should check the status of their navel cavities occasionally.

Live and learn.

Comments

  1. Oh my, that's a HILARIOUS story!

    I'm not sure it was a good thing that I was eating hummus while reading it, but I digress...

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Oh my.
    My friend and I were just talking this morning that we don't really get to *see* our children any more...we used to intimate with every nook and cranny of their bodies..but now, C shows me a rash that has been there for weeks and I feel guilty cause I didn't know it was there!
    Now you know I have to check their belly buttons tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read

Phlumpyschlumpy.

Good morning, peeps. It's Friday. There's frost outside this morning. *FROST!* This week has been ridiculously chilly. I'm having mixed feelings about blogging lately. Mostly because I feel like all I've been doing is whine about being tired. Or overwhelmed. And because comments are lacking. And because I can't seem to think about anything to write about except Tejan. And because some of the thoughts I'm having are too private for the blog - or too repetitive. Or too unformed to turn into actual words you all could understand. So I'm struggling a bit. And yet, I'm committed to documenting the process I'm in. So I'll keep writing when the words come. And when they don't, like this morning, when I looked at that intimidating blinking cursor and my mind went blank and I started to break out in a cold sweat and began by talking about the weather... well, then, I'll just gracefully (or not so gracefully) back out of the room... tail between m