Skip to main content

Thursday thoughts

  • Lots going on for our little family - May is always crazy - and this month is no exception
  • Savannah has finished up a spring golf season at her high school. She really loved playing (her first time ever.) We borrowed clubs from a friend of ours who played golf for WSU - then I managed to find her a complete set that was the perfect size for $250. Yes. Two dollars and fifty cents.
  • As soon as golf ended, Driver's Ed started. So now I have two teenagers driving. At least finally now when she asks "Can I drive?" (which she's been doing for about two years...) we can legally say yes.
  • Ethan is finishing up his final year at the elementary school and prepping to start junior high in the fall. Lots of 'lasts' happening for us there... our last variety show a couple months ago, our last walk-a-thon next week, our last parent/teacher conference, our last Band and Strings Spectacular. Can't believe that after being at this school since the fall of 2000, our time is coming to an end. It's been a good ride.
  • We have come to an agreement with this sixth grader about his hair... I've written before about Ethan's crazy mop. He has always wanted to grow it out. But it is crazy. Big. Out of control. And I have only ever been able to let it get to a certain point before I simply cannot stand it anymore and force him over to (not-so) Great Clips for a trim - the shorter the better. As a sort of end-of-sixth-grade-rite-of-passage - I've told him he can continue to grow it out for now... and until the day before his first day of school in the fall. Now that the decision has been made, I find myself being curious as to what it will do. There's a part of me that thinks it must eventually lie down... pulled by it's own weight. Could it really just keep growing outward and upward? We shall see.
  • Kyler runs at the District Track meet this afternoon - he's had huge improvements in all his race times this season... cutting his personal record in the 3200m from 10:24 to 9:54.9, in the 1600m from 4:41.2 to 4:36.8 and in the 800m from 2:06.36 to 2:03.9. Today he is running just the 800m race - which is a preliminary determining if he will run again tomorrow. I'm thankful for an injury free season... and already beginning to look forward to his senior year of cross country in the fall. One of the hardest things for me to let go of as he moves away to college is his participation in running. It has been a parenting highlight to watch his skill build over the years. We're discussing whether or not he will run competitively in college... I'm hoping he decides to but also recognize the decision is his to make.
  • Things continue to go SUPER well for me at work. We had our staff awards luncheon last weekend and I was awarded the Diamond Leader award for the third year in a row - placing me among the top 20 percent of leaders in our district when looking at things like member retention, member success, product sales, and personal weight management. It continues to be such an honor for me to have just the tiniest part of helping to change people's lives. To get to do something I'm so passionate about and get paid for it is SO awesome. I'm thankful.
  • Still pinching/saving pennies for a trip back to Sierra Leone next summer for Asia and I. Tejan will graduate in July and we hope to be there for his graduation ceremony. That will have us celebrating Kyler's grad in June and T's in July. Crazy. 
That's all for now. Consider yourself updated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read