Skip to main content

Good things

Today I got a phone call from an old friend from the ex-church. How sweet to touch bases with her, find out how her life has been these past months, talk through some of the hurts that only someone else who was left in the wake of this church storm can fully appreciate... just hearing her voice brought tears to my eyes, since our friendship is yet another casualty of the barrage we've had to endure. She left the church several months before we did - and I've only seen her once since last fall - just enough time for a hug and a quick "how ya' doin?", knowing full well that neither one of us could answer without an emotional breakdown, and so choosing not to answer at all. I'm so sad that because of all these sucky church leaving circumstances, I have lost numerous casual friendships. That unless I make real, significant time kinds of efforts to maintain these friendships, I will most likely never see many many people I've come to love dearly. And that really sucks. And it's not fair. Or right. Because we all love Jesus. And are all part of the Body, regardless of where we worship. But since we live across town and our paths no longer cross, I have to let go. Ugh.

I'm pretty tired, exhausted from the questions running through my mind these past months...
what is church?
why do we go?
does it have to be a building, on Sunday morning?
what about ministry - why does it always have to be so programmed?
how do I reconcile the betrayal I feel from being used at the ex-church?
why do I feel closer to Jesus now than I ever did?
are my kids going to grow up rebellious and ungodly if they don't have a "church home"?

I don't have any answers, although my thoughts lean so far from what I've believed for my whole life... it is so strange to think in such a radically different way. Rebellious. Anarchistic. Revolutionary maybe?

I don't know.

I do know that I love my husband more than ever, as I've trusted his leadership in this.
That's a good thing.

I do know that I spend more precious time with my Savior than I ever did in the midst of all my "ministry".
That's a good thing.

I do know that my kids are learning that God is much bigger than any building or preacher or program.
That's a good thing.

I do know that some friendships are worth the time, even if I don't feel like I have the energy quite yet. I had to thank my friend for calling today. For picking up the phone and making contact. Quite honestly, I'm not really ready yet to take that step. I'm a little too raw still, I think, to let someone come too close to my wounds. I'm so glad Mary is a little further along in her healing, and took the time to call me. Her voice was a salve on my wounds... soothing and comfortable, and full of hope.

Full of hope. That's a good thing.

Comments

  1. Kelly and Ken - thanks for your comments... I'm discovering the "buttload" more and more every day, Kelly. It helps me so much to know there are others who are sensing the same leading - that we're not some sort of renegade freaks who have gone completely off the deep end - I believe it's the Holy Spirit working.

    When I talked to Corey she said something so profound - she said God is totally doing something, that "there's a new wineskin" for the "church" - and we just don't know what it looks like yet.

    Interesting journey, this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read