Skip to main content

Amazing what a good nights' sleep can do

I'm beginning to gauge my days by when I wake up... if I peek out from my sticky eyelids and it's already light outside my windows, I give a little silent cheer and my whole day looks better. It's so much better than laying there wide awake hours before the sun has even appeared on the east coast... This morning it was good and light out - I didn't wake up until 7:30! Yay! I'm happy.

K. and I had a wonderful evening together. He came with me to my class - and charmed the heck out of everyone there. Equal to his ability to drive me completely batty is his ability to captivate total strangers with his larger than life personality... it's fascinating and annoying at the same time. Annoying mostly because I would love to be able to appreciate him the same way others seem to... fascinating because I wonder where this gift came from... most certainly more from Asia than from me. Remember, I'm the one who inadvertently makes people feel ignored and unimportant. Asia has the ability to walk into a room and have at least five people feel as though he is their best friend within minutes. (And he's sincere about it - which makes it all the more alluring...) K. is a mystery to me because he's SO different from me - I LOVE watching him unfold.

We went to buy him a new bible - I bought him a devotion book this summer and told him if he read it every day for a month, I'd get him a new bible. He was totally hung up on the fact that his old bible said (in bright yellow letters) right on the front cover "For young readers - 6 to 10 years old." "I'm almost eleven, Mom!" Sheesh!

So we went to Christian Supply. Now I remember many a trip to Christian Supply in Portland - whenever we made the trip we would go there. I loved the rows and rows of bibles, Sunday school rewards (remember the little keychain you'd put up to your eye and inside it had a picture of Jesus with outstretched arms?) and of course, I LOVED the music section. I'd drool over the song books - Amy Grant, Keith Green, Sandi Patti... I bought them all. Ooh - and what about Degarmo and Key? Anyway - we're supposed to talking about K... As we pulled into the parking lot, he saw a poster for Veggie Tales' newest movie. "Mom, when you were a kid, did you love Veggie Tales?" Oh dear. How times have changed. When I was a kid, there were no videos...

We went in and looked at the bibles. All the kid's ones only went up to age 12 - and just like I'm going to buy shoes with plenty of grow room, I'm sure as heck not going to buy a bible that in a year he's going to hold up and say "Mom, I'm almost twelve!" So we headed over to the teen bibles, found a good one "Cool - that's tight, Mom!" and bought it. I added a new SonicFlood CD for me and a little copy of the book of John from The Message to keep in the car. (Only $1.50 for that little baby - I think next time I'll pick up several to give away...)

Off to Starbucks. K. brought his bible in so we could look at it together. It's got lots of glossy paged insert with little "how to live life" advice. Things like "50 ways to be a good friend," "Satan's Favorite Lies" and "70 ideas for a great date." WHAT?!? My ten year old LOVED that one and proceeded to read all 70 suggestions to me. Some great ideas, like 'buy a piece of old furniture and refinish it together for one of your Moms.' Cool. I think I'll highlight that one for future reference.

All in all, we had a great evening together.

He loves his new teacher (she brought donuts.)

Today is his first day of band. He looked so big carrying his trombone off to school...

I love being a Mom, if only because I get to know these amazing young people... now if someone could just slow the whole process down... I want to savor the moments because in the blink of an eye I'm going to have adults walking around my house - and then leaving my house...

I just hope I get at least one piece of refinished furniture before they're all gone...

Comments

  1. I still have all those Amy Grant piano books tucked away in my music bin. And the Sandy Patty ones, too. :-) Glad you had fun with K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:41 PM

    I thought kids were supposed to take old furniture, not refinish it....and did I hear wrong and that's a date????? Return the Bible, some one who doesn't have kids wrote the dating part.....Boy will K. be shocked when the girl wants to snuggle, not strip....furniture, I mean. Just joking, kind of, maybe....who knows. Jared is still fully sicked out by girls and i hope it doesn't wear off for awhile. But I am fairly sure the girls are watching him, YIKES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyler has always appreciated girls... there has never been a "cootie" phase with him. I have no idea if the girls are looking at him - I don't want to know. The phone isn't ringing for him yet - I'm thankful for that little gift... I don't how we're going to deal with that when it starts happening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:51 PM

    Ooo! I love the sound of that Bible for teens. The Satan's favorite lies is interesting as is the dating part. Good find. Sounds like a fabulous day with your son!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read