Skip to main content

New beginnings

So I've been thinking a lot about the puppy - go figure.

All my life I've been pretty much anti-dog. My best friend's family always had a dog, and I hated her. Him? I can't even remember the name (how sad is that, Corey? I keep wanting to say Charlie, but no, that's your Dad... really, it's right on the tip of my tongue... oh well.) We never had a dog - just cats growing up. All the neighbors had dogs, and they always seemed stinky and slobbery.

But we're getting a dog. A really cute dog.

I've been walking around the house thinking of all the things I need to do to puppy-proof... move all the shoes, put the shredder somewhere else, buy baby gates, clean out the cupboards, organize the closet... wait - I don't have to do that - it's just a puppy. But - I have this urge to accomplish accomplish accomplish... the little mundane tasks I've been putting off are now in the forefront of my mind, and I'm just itching to get busy.

I think I'm nesting.

No, seriously.

I realized awhile back that our lives were pretty darn settled. Compared to the first ten years of marraige, with Asia's schooling, moving several times, changing jobs, having babies, buying houses and working through all the developmental things with our little ones, this second decade of our lives together has been pretty hum-drum. It's like you go from major change after major change to this much more settled rhythm... life pulses away and you concentrate on just maintaining some sort of harmony. The tempo ebbs and wanes, sometimes accented with sharp staccato and sometimes dipping into interludes in minor keys, but in general, the song stays the same. We're not introducing any new instruments into the orchestra.

Until now.

Here's what I picture: Our song has been playing peacefully along. The audience has perhaps grown a little bored, as have the musicians. When suddenly, from the wings, in runs a crazy, dreadlocked cast member from "Stomp". He's banging his trash can lid with gusto - over and above the sustained notes from the surprised orchestra...

That's Gracie.

She's come to upset the rhythm for awhile.

Give us a breath of something new and fresh and interesting.

And as she learns to play along with our little ensemble, we'll adjust the cadence until we're all composing a new song altogether...

Isn't that just beautiful? (said only semi-sarcastically...)

I know, all you dog owners are laughing at my romaticizing... I know in a week, when I haven't slept for days and I'm stepping in piddle every other time I go into the kitchen, I'll maybe have a more realisitic and gritty take on the whole dog-coming-to-live-at-our-house thing.

But for now, I'll wax poetic and daydream about our walks together and all the love we're going to share.

For now, I'll go clean out a closet and be thankful for the fresh, excited air that's floating around my house... I'm sucking it up with gusto.

Oh - and the name... some of you have asked about the name.

"Gracie" is just because I see even little things like fresh air and new songs and puppies as a poignant reminders of God's grace... Grace that is doled out lavishly, abundantly - sometimes when we least expect it and in this case, in a way I'd never have guessed I needed.

That's why we named her Gracie.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:40 AM

    You are in love....
    Dogs we had when we were growing up were:
    Mark the irish setter
    Danny the springer spaniel
    Dirk the black lab
    and now my parents have Cody the golden retriever.....we were really into people names for our animals and dogs were boys and cats were girls....oh my goodness, i need pet therapy....our cats were Emily, Kate and Hayley....oh my- I need to find the number for a therapist. No wonder you have weird memories of our home - now I am. By the way, enjoy the fresh air - dogs fart alot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah - Danny - that's it! God bless Danny! (Sorry - I always have to do that whenever I remember a name - like Maria in the Sound of Music "Ah yes,Kirk- - God bless Kirk!)

    Anyway - forget the therapy - Quigley is a most decidedly DOG name - you're just fine. Now if you'd named him Fred or Eric, I'd be worried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:06 AM

    I'm a new reader--and a relatively new dog person. I was never a dog person until I met my husband.

    From one former dog-disliker to another, the best thing I've learned to love your dog is to make sure said dog is well-trained, socialized, clean, and exercised. A bored dog with lots of energy is a destructive dog. An untrained dog that you can't walk is a dog no one wants around. A dog stuck in the backyard is a dog who won't be friendly to people. A stinky dog is one you won't want to snuggle and pet and let in your car.

    Dogs love you unconditionally--it is a great, great thing. I LOVE my dog current dog, Aztec (and still miss the two dogs from my married life who have been gone now 14 and 4 years, respectively).

    A dog's love is forever.

    HMBalison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:46 PM

    Sell the shredder, the dog will take over that chore.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yah, whatever. I still don't want a dog!!!!!!! :-)

    Don't let him slobber on me when I come over, please.

    Um....I'm still waiting for my phone call and coffee date. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:03 PM

    I LOVE the name Gracie. It is perfect! And, yes! You are nesting. I think it is sweet. After reading this lovely entry, I believe that you are getting the puppy for all the right reasons, and then some more wonderful reasons. She is so lucky to join your family. And the walking... Boxers are the BEST walkers on earth. I love to walk with Buddy. It brings me great joy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read