Skip to main content

Soggy shoes and torture chambers

Oh brother. That's all I can say about this morning.

The kids were all up early, which is fine - it helps us get off to a good start. It's nice when I'm not waking them up at the last possible minute, trying to get everyone motivated and moving to be ready to go on time.

So we were all up and dressed and I managed to get everyone heading in the direction of breakfast... they get their cereal picked out and everything is going smoothly until we realize we're out of milk. Now how that happened is totally beyond me, because last night after dinner there was at least a third of a gallon. I paid close attention to that because I knew I'd be out running errands after dinner and was glad I wouldn't have to stop to get milk. (I'm ALL for the return of the milkman - wouldn't it be glorious to have milk waiting for you on the stoop every morning?)

Okay - no milk. Plan B. We get through breakfast.

Chores. For some reason nothing ever goes the way I want it to - I just want my kids to go through their morning routine and accomplish all the tasks before them without stopping every ten seconds to have a sword fight or stand looking at the hallway mirror for inordinate amounts of time. I could go crazy every morning reminding them to stay on task - stay focused... arghhh!

So this morning, other than the usual stuff, I think everything is going fairly smoothly, when I tell S. to go get her shoes and socks on. Now - you should know, one of E's chores is to straighten up the shoe rack. Apparently this morning, he decided to use the spray bottle we use to comb hair to soak the inside of every single pair of his brother's and sister's shoes. SOAK! There isn't a dry shoe in the house (except for E's... and mine, because I keep mine elsewhere.) And it's five minutes before they have to leave.

Now - I certainly don't want to send my kindergartener off to school with the trauma of a fresh spanking in his mind, and there really wasn't time for it anyway, so I had to quickly work through guiding him to ask forgiveness and issue the warning that there will be consequences when he gets home...

But here's the clincher. When I asked him if he did it because he thought it would be funny he said "No, I did it because they always torture me!" Ooooh! This kid's good. He's never done anything even remotely like this before. He is the most good natured, easy going, easy-to-parent child... for him to think through a devious act like that and actually follow through and do it, I have to think there's something else behind it. He's just not mischievous in general.

Now - I'll admit - I'm a sucker for a good "baby of the family being tortured" story, having been the baby and using them myself on occasion. (I already know what you're going to say, Steve. Spare me the drama.) So I'm trying to be fair and not give in to the sympathetic urge to beat my older two silly for torturing my baby. But I do have to wonder what they've been doing to him to make him want to get back at them like this.

Oh fiddle. I hate parenting conundrums. I don't know what to do. Certainly E. will have some consequences... you just can't go around soaking peoples shoes and expect to get away with it, after all. But should there be consequences for the older two? It's so vague... certainly I've seen them teasing him some, but not enough that I think it would warrant major retribution... bleh - I just want them to be good and nice and obedient and kind to each other. Is that too much to ask?

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:08 AM

    YOU DIDN'T TELL US WHAT K AND S WORE TO SCHOOL
    DID YOU SEND THEM OUT THE DOOR
    BAREFOOT ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savannah managed to find a pair he hadn't gotten to - they were a little big on her, but it was better than what Kyler had to do. Poor kid wore wet shoes - what choice did we have? SUCH a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:21 PM

    Cathy,
    I remember Steve coming into your room with a piece of wood (with nails in it, in my memory banks) and beating your leg with it.....I think we were using words though, can't remember that part....but it did leave the impression - "I am so glad I don't have a big brother."
    Today I chased Jared around the house because he used the word "idiot" for his brother.....who looked like the idiot? Oh well...I am with you for just wanting everybody to do what they are supposed to be doing in that crunch time of the morning..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh! Will I ever survive parenting. I think that a good solid beating is merited for ALL children. Just kidding. I'm the middle sibling so I know the tortures inflicted by the elder sib and the games played by the younger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was pretty crafty and premeditated...and pretty funny! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:06 AM

    It must be that since I'm single and have no kids my perspective is a little different. (Tho I did have contact with the Berglund girls all their growing up, and then the Pricer kids for part of their growing up and now my own nieces and nephews....I kinda like that little kid of yours. Of COURSE you don't want to encourage that sort of behavior but part of me smiles and is really encouraged that this is an independent kid. He didn't go tattling to you or A. He didn't beat anyone with a stick or cause bleeding or bruising. He didn't call anyone any names (like "ugly" or "stupid") My niece told me once sadly "I was mad and said the "s" word." (i.e. "stupid"). Your little fellow thought thru the problem, came up with a solution that let his siblings know he was not going to be a passive victim. I bet K thought about his brother all day! E showed creativity, imagination, forethought, and restraint. (Just think of the things he MIGHT have done.!) And I know you have to have consequences for his behavior but I think of the future. I think that this kid is going to grow up to be a resourceful, thoughtful, creative and he showed restraint. He just might join the diplomatic service. :) Thanks for sharing the story. I loved it. And I love that little kid of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:17 AM

    Oh my heck! I love this entry. LOVE IT! The shoe soak is one to go down in the family memory book. That is gooood! What a clever child to come up with that (sorry, Mom, but I think it was brilliant). And, yep, parenting is so difficult. It forces us to be creative at every single turn. Good luck with dealing with this one... it's an interesting mess you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cathy, over on my site (flibbertyjen.blogspot.com) I posted my Kelly/Cathy story. I'd love to hear what you think about it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read