Skip to main content

"Son of a Brick!"

Fortunately, that's what E. heard last night when he walked into the room where Asia was watching an episode of "Lost." He probably wouldn't have even paid attention to the phrase, but when S. heard it, she immediately gasped, then looked from Asia to E. and back again to see what they were both going to do...

"What?" asked E. "What did he say???"

"Nothing," replied Asia, hoping to let it slide.

No such luck. "What - did he say a bad word?"

Asia: "What did you hear?"

E: "Son of a Brick"

Asia: "Okay, son. Now you know. You may not say that, okay? It's inappropriate."

E: "Alright, Daddy."

End of story.

I remember when I was growing up, fart was a bad word. We couldn't utter it - although my brothers and I would say it to each other. In our house we didn't fart, we poodered. I know - it's worse, much much worse. I have vivid memories of my Dad walking into a room, wrinkling up his nose and saying "Who poodered?" It totally makes me giggle now to think of that. What a stupid word. Pooder?

My parents did a fabulous job raising all three of us, if I do say so myself. My brothers and I all grew into responsible, God fearing adults and married wonderful Christian spouses. So I'm not about to criticize their parenting. But, I am going to make fun of them, just a teeny tiny bit, just because I know they'll be okay with it - and because I think words like pooder are pee your pants funny.

You see, there was a whole vocabulary of words that we used to describe delicate issues around the house... not only did we pooder instead of fart, but we had "the scoots" instead of diarrhea and referred to our private parts simply as "my body" instead of the anatomically correct penis or vagina. We didn't poop or pee. Instead, we would use the bathroom to "sit" or "tinkle." If we had any sort of personal itching issues, we would simply discreetly ask for the Lanacane. We didn't have butts (perhaps this is the reason for the infamous lack of butt on any of us...) - we only had bottoms. And don't even think of bringing up sex. There were no words for that.

Now, obviously, much of this is a generational thing. There was much more formality in the 70's, at least within the conservative church going population. I'd venture to say that there weren't many people going around talking about their vaginas or their diarrhea or sex... and I'd also step out there and say that probably in many ways, that was a good thing. But - I'll tell you right now, that in our house, we poop and pee and have penises and vagnias and we fart. My kids have been known to yell out in the middle of store aisles, while sticking their hands down their pants "I'VE GOT A RASH!!!" We talk about sex, at least with the two to whom we've explained the process... and we use the correct terminology - for all of it.

I pretty much draw the line there though. I don't want my kids expressing themselves with profanities, just as I try to limit their use in my own mouth. There was a time in my life when I could cuss like a sailor during a particularly rebellious period in highschool (sorry Mom.) It was pretty ugly. And I suffer the remnants of that occasionally even now, so that if especially if I get hurt, one particular expletive rushes into my brain - where I either supress it or allow myself to mutter it forcefully and quietly under my breath.

I know there is this movement within the emerging church to not characterize words as "bad" or "curse" words, and allow the freedom to express yourself using whatever words necessary. There are even pastors who feel the freedom to curse, or so I hear. It's becoming sort of a non-issue, I guess... perhaps in an effort to avoid legalism.

I am all for avoiding legalism. And if I'm in a conversation and you choose to use "colorful" language, I'm totally okay with it. I will not judge you based on your choice of words. I accept that we are all on our own journeys with God - there is actually a lot of new testament scripture addressing freedom - apart from the law - to live our lives before God according to our own set of convictions and thoughtful awareness of our weaknesses. And it is in those same passages where we are instructed to be careful how we live our lives before others - to consider our brothers and sisters and not cause them to stumble by our own set of freedoms. So, while what I do, (whether it's drinking a glass of wine, or feeling the freedom to allow a curse word to pass through my lips) is completely between me and God - I'll make every effort to be sure not to offend you or your set of convictions in the process. And I expect my brothers and sisters to do the same.

So, while I want my kids to use normal words for their body parts and functions, I am still sensitive about what comes out of their little mouths. I want their words to be respectful and considerate and age appropriate. And, I want them to begin to understand the concept of considering their audience - and not causing others to stumble. If they have friends who are not allowed to use words like fart or butt, I want them to curtail their use of those words in said friends' presence. While I've begun to allow K. to express his amazing sense of humor by inserting a word like "crap" here and there, I want him to understand that it's okay at home, but not okay in his school classroom or around younger kids. I want them to develop a sense of responsiblity in their choice of words. Therefore, if you come to my house, set a good example and be sure your words only include things like penis, vagina, fart and son of a brick.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:46 AM

    Too funny! In my family growing up we never referred to that area "down there" by anything except "coolie". (Don't ask me to explain where it came from.) So you can see why I was shocked when I got to be old enough to go to school and I learned about the "Grand Coulee Dam". The mental image I got .....well, it was difficult for me to imagine how they had constructed a dam in the shape of a "coolie". !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, in our house it was "corkle." Don't ask me where they came up with that. I must confess I don't much like the word fart. Oh, and we didn't poop, we went "stinky." Isn't it funny how the words that seemed so normal growing up seem so weird now? Once Annsley heard someone say "dumb a**" on the radio and she said, "Oooh, Mommy, she said dumb!" I love that naive state. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Kelly, I keep coming back, but I pray for your soul every time I read one of your more "spirited" words... Nah - I love ya, lumberjack vocabulary and all.

    Min, corkle? That's a new one. I didn't know you didn't like the word fart. I'll have to be sure to use it in conversation next time we talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:22 AM

    Oh my gosh! Did your parents know my parents? It sounds like we were raised EXACTLY the same way - same words, same rules, same generation. WOW! I could have written this entry because your upbringing was so similar to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:53 AM

    OK Gals
    Our generation wasn't that naive really. We just didn't talk about it. When you look at the way the world talks today sometimes I wish we could go back to the "simple"
    innocence of my generation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:08 AM

    Definition of a "bad" word. I know it is up to the person involved but if we are aiming to please God with our language that is edifying,uplifting and wholesome..is it a double standard to allow children to have one kind of language at home and another in front of other people? God knows our every word.
    Sorry - just a thought from the "old" generation....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom - I don't see it as a double standard - I see it instead as being sensitive to other people's standards. If I allow my kids to watch a particular movie that I know some of their friends haven't been allowed to watch (because it's something their parents aren't comfortable with i.e. Harry Potter) I want my kids to understand that when they are with those friends, they shouldn't talk about Harry Potter. The kids have a pretty keen awareness of what their friends are allowed to watch and are careful about that. In the same way - just because I think it's okay for my kids to say fart or penis at home (where we have an established comfort level with those words), I certainly want them to understand that there are settings where those words are not appropriate. (Like almost anywhere else...)

    Our memory verses for the summer were Ephesians 4: 29 - 5:2, which begins "Don't let any evil talk come out of your mouths. Say only what will help to build others up and meet their needs. Then what you say will help those who listen."

    In having them memorize that, I was able to teach them to understand that our words are to build up and not tear down. So, if K. uses the word crap in a simple sentence about all the junk in his room, I'm totally okay with that. If he calls his sister a crap head, I'm not... I would venture to say that words themselves are not inherently evil - but it's our use of them that determines whether God is honored by them.

    Okay, I think that's long enough. We can talk more about this if you want. I appreciate your input - and I hope you don't think I was suggesting that there was anything wrong with your generation - it was just different than today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:10 PM

    Sorry - Didn't mean to offend. It was just a thought. I have no problem with the way you are raising your children. You are both GREAT PARENTS.
    Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't offended at all -

    SMOOCHES!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:12 PM

    DOUBLE SMOOCHES !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:31 AM

    Fart
    Fluff
    Fanny burp
    Barking Spiders
    Toot
    Pass Gas
    Cut the cheese
    Break wind

    As my brother and I got older the words changed. We were not allowed to say Fart for the longest time.

    My two cents about the above comment.
    (example: Our family will burp out loud at home followed by an "excuse me", but in public we are more reserved.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read

Phlumpyschlumpy.

Good morning, peeps. It's Friday. There's frost outside this morning. *FROST!* This week has been ridiculously chilly. I'm having mixed feelings about blogging lately. Mostly because I feel like all I've been doing is whine about being tired. Or overwhelmed. And because comments are lacking. And because I can't seem to think about anything to write about except Tejan. And because some of the thoughts I'm having are too private for the blog - or too repetitive. Or too unformed to turn into actual words you all could understand. So I'm struggling a bit. And yet, I'm committed to documenting the process I'm in. So I'll keep writing when the words come. And when they don't, like this morning, when I looked at that intimidating blinking cursor and my mind went blank and I started to break out in a cold sweat and began by talking about the weather... well, then, I'll just gracefully (or not so gracefully) back out of the room... tail between m