Skip to main content

Whew!

So today Gracie entered our home.

I feel as though I gave birth, started potty training and have to make sure everyone in the house in bonding correctly all at once. I'm totally exhausted and stressed out.

Is this normal?

She is still for sure the cutest thing I've ever seen, but I'm so worried that she's going to potty in the house that I'm not sure I can enjoy her... I'm so uptight about doing everything right.

I think I need to make a list just so I can relax. Then I'm going to put her in her crate and call it a night.


  • Asia is at his first "Poker Night" tonight. This was one of his ideas for his midlife crisis issue - I'm all for it. There are for sure much worse things he could be doing with his crisis. I asked if he was going to come home smelling like cigars and beer and he said probably - although I know he's too much of a priss to engage in either one.
  • The kids were supposed to have a BBQ at school today... I had arranged everything so Asia could be home to be with the dog - and it poured down rain. So much for a BBQ.
  • I'm reading a great book by Eugene H. Peterson, Leap Over a Wall. It's about David, one of my very favorite characters in the bible. It's one of those books that I have to stop and read every other sentence to Asia because it's so good. I ordered three other books by him from Amazon yesterday.
  • Speaking of Amazon - I'm totally addicted. You should see my wish list.
  • Speaking of being addicted to Amazon, I was so thrilled to discover a place in my living room where I can keep my growing pile of books. I've been disturbed by their presence. As much as I love reading them when the house is quiet, it's difficult for me to relax when there are piles - especially in my living room. I realized I still had two empty drawers in my new entertainment armoire, so into the drawers went my book piles. Now they are totally accessible, but put away. That makes me a happy girl.
  • I found a refrigerator that I am totally in love with... so in love that I think I'm giving up something more fabulous and choosing laminate countertops just so I can afford it. It's a JennAire, and may just end up being "le piece de resistance," if you know what I mean.
  • If you don't know what I mean, look here
  • Why is it that in decorating shows where they use phrases like "piece de resistance," they always tell me I need "a touch of whimsy" in my room? I'm pretty sure I don't have that covered yet in the design for my new kitchen. I need to get on that. Pronto.
  • Maybe when I'm in Portland with Brooke next weekend, we can look for the whimsy for my kitchen. Whatdyasay, Brookie?
  • Gracie absolutely adores her bed. She goes right to it when she wants to rest, which is more often that I ever imagined. She slept a TON today. Did I mentioned how stressed out I am about the dog? God - please help me sleep tonight. I need to sleep, or I'm not going to be a lot of fun to live with.
  • The problem with Gracie loving her bed is that it's not her crate - which is where she has to sleep overnight in this whole crate training philosophy. I know, I know - why not put her bed in the crate? Well, because I don't think we're supposed to. AGH!
  • I have twelve emails I need to go read. I'd better go read them and get some sleep. Who knows how many times I'm going to need to get up tonight.

Comments

  1. Anonymous11:02 PM

    Something Whimsy huh??! That will be so much fun! I can't wait for our weekend away. Lots of shopping to do!! Love ya, see ya real soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh - I like the funky clock idea... or maybe a cool bookcase? Do you know anyone who makes cool bookcases, Kelly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:27 PM

    Just so you can relax....the dog WILL have an accident in your house. You WILL surivive it. It WILL be disgusting. I put table salt on piddles on the carpet (like a little mountain) - it pulls up the liquid and crystallizes. Eventually the dog will learn to hold it and they really want to please you and it is so obvious how displeased you are when they have accidents - so they let you know when they have to go. I was fairly stressed out and kept watching the dog and asking everyone if the dog had been taken out - I thought I would lose my mind. It passes after a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who is Asia playing poker with? I'm still waiting for my phone call. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:32 PM

    Picture, picture please. I'm dying to see the kids with her. I was sick, so I fell behind this week. But I couldn't wait to read all about the new family member... I thought of you and the kids and knew that you were all having one big LOVE FEST! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Min - Asia played with a couple of friends from work and another buddy. He won exactly $1.

    Corey - thanks for the encouragement. I felt better today - she pooped in the kitchen last night at some ungodly hour... I was relieved to get the first inside poop over with - whatever - I'll get through it...

    Kelly E. - I've taken a few pictures... just haven't taken the time to load them onto the computer. I've been SO busy for three days... and tomorrow is going to be busy too. I'll aim for Sunday... glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:39 AM

    I just got done teaching on 1 & 2 Samuel, so I know what you mean about David. He was just a humble and yet flawed man. Sounds like I should get Peterson's book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read