Skip to main content

A piece of my backyard for your viewing pleasure.


Now that I blog at my kitchen table instead of in my comfy living room chair (gotta keep an eye on the pup, ya know...), I am greeted each morning by this fiery display out my window. This vine has always been there, climbing all over the neighbor's fence, but this year it made its way over their fence and is climbing it's way across mine. Now - I hate my back fence and have been wanting to replace it for all the years we have lived in this house, but I'm thankful for it this year because it's the sort of fence that will support this lovely autumn frippery. When we replace it with the cedar plank fence that is in the works, I'm sure the vine will take it's garnet leaves and go elsewhere. It really is lovely, and I'm enjoying every minute of it's potent scarlett spectacle.

My brain has been working overtime lately, with all the hours it's had to be engaged when it normally would be sleeping (up in the middle of the night with the pup, of course.) I've been thinking of all the different ways to scrapbook this new addition to our family. I can't begin to tell you the opportunities I have now to shop - previously, I would walk past the pet section of any scrapbook store - now I need to add cute little dog embellishments and papers and doo-dads to my stash. I'm getting some great pictures, so the excitement is building to sit down and make some pages... I still need to decide if Gracie gets her own book or if she'll just fit into the family albums... probably both, since there is no shortage of mini-albums I've completed that are just begging to be finished off with pictures.

I've also been thinking a lot about the kitchen... it's really time for me to start packing things up in preparation for the demolition crew. We're supposed to start tearing things apart here in the next couple of weeks. I did some major cleaning before Gracie came, so it won't be as much organizing and throwing out as it will be just packing up the stuff I can live without for a couple of months. I'm sure I'll still find stuff I can get rid of - which always feels REALLY good to me.

It's time to go walk to pick up E. - my car is in the shop today, so even though the air is chilly enough that normally I would drive to get him, I'm hoofin' it. The back window in the car sounds like someone stuffed gravel down inside the mechanism that opens and closes it - never a good thing. We'll see how expensive that's going to be... hopefully the extended warranty Asia got suckered into buying will come through for us.

Cheers to everyone - have a cupahotcider on me...

Oh - and one more thing. The dog has gas. Serious gas.

Asia is lovin' having a scapegoat. He never has to accept responsibility for stinking up the house ever again...

Comments

  1. Anonymous1:56 PM

    Is "frippery" a word?? I like that.. . "autumn frippery". Hmm, makes ya wonder if Webster is rolling around in his grave. Let him roll.

    Just saw yesterday's photos. Too too too darling. Of course I love the Savannah/Gracie one. Savannah's still cuter to me even though Gracie runs a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine - straight from dictionary.com:

    frip·per·y ( P ) Pronunciation Key (frp-r)
    n. pl. frip·per·ies
    Pretentious, showy finery.
    Pretentious elegance; ostentation.
    Something trivial or nonessential

    Webster is just fine...

    The jury's still out here about who's cuter, Gracie or the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:48 PM

    Ok, so I'm clueless. Nothing new there.

    Hey, we have Ethan's pj bottoms here. Should I mail them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:29 AM

    I just want to know how you got the word frippery - it seems so highbrow - and I know you....potent scarlet spectacle is good too. Did you get that from a decorating magazine or Martha Stewart maybe??? Come on - come clean. Us, girls from nowhere have to stick together. No really - I am so pleased at how smart you sound - here's hoping that it is catchy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geez, can't a girl use a thesaurus once in a while?

    Honestly.

    I love finding new words and frippery seemed a good one... who knew it would cause such a stir?

    L. - I didn't know E. left any pj bottoms - are Mom and Dad going to leave their car at your place when they fly over next weekend? Maybe they could bring them if they do.

    Corey - you always sound WAY smarter than me in your writing. You're such a deep thinker and I'm so silly and shallow. Girls from nowhere are the most dangerous, dontcha know? We are so complex and hard to figure out... just ask Asia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:14 AM

    Gracie may outgrow the gas thing. Our Buddy did. So, Asia will have to once again fess up and take the blame. He should enjoy this while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read