Skip to main content

Scattered Thoughts

I feel like I've been very discombobulated this week. (Is that even a real word?) I think it's Asia's absence. There's no one here to bounce all my randomness off of, so you're all getting the bear the brunt of it. Sorry. Or maybe not - it's who I am.

I've got lots to say and no energy to come up with interesting segues, so I'm falling back on my old favorite -the bullet list.


  • I've been wanting to shout out to my friends Kelly and Kelly. These girls are two of my very favorite bloggers. I love their consistent posts at their own blogs and their dedication to reading mine (and commenting!) I feel very blessed to call each of them friend. It's fascinating that these women who live on the other side of the country (although they are both born and bred Pacific NW gals) are such a huge part of my daily life. Thanks ladies, for your friendship and your support and encouragement. Who knew I could be so blessed by a function of the internet?
  • I almost have the kids' Halloween costumes assembled. I haven't mentioned it before, but I absolutely hate Halloween. Not because of the goblins and ghosts - whatever... and not because we're anti-trick-or-treat. Free candy by the handful? I'm there! No, I hate Halloween because finding costumes for three kids that both they and I can live with is scarier than any Friday the 13th movie. It's a nightmare. I hate spending money on costumes, and I hate that all the costumes are made out of that horrible polyester material that catches all your hangnails and makes that scritchy sound. In the past I've tried to make my own costumes. However, the older the kids get, the more they're out of that "Oh, gosh, Honey, look! It's a bumblebee and a tiger! Aren't they cute?" phase and more into the phase where nobody even really looks at what they're wearing. No matter what they wear they'll never be as cute as the toddlers dressed up like bears and dinosaurs and ladybugs. No - nobody is even looking at my kids anymore, and yet, I still have to find some sort of costume for each of them. This year we'll be a jailbird, a cowgirl and Darth Vader. Here's hoping we get lots of Snickers. Somehow that will make it worth all the hassle.
  • I'm discovering something about the laundry this week. Remember my resolution to do a load whenever I had enough clothes to fill the washer? And how I was going to fold each load and put it away as soon as I got it out of the dryer? Well, it's Thursday, and I have yet to wash a load. Not because I'm not committed to my new plan. You see, with Asia gone, there just haven't been enough dirty clothes to wash. Now, I am not married to a construction worker or a landscaper... no, my husband works for the government and sits behind a desk all day. How the heck is he dirtying so many clothes? You can be assured we'll be talking about this. He is obviously just throwing everything in the hamper, regardless of whether it's actually dirty or not. I've gotten on the kids for doing that for years - I had no idea Asia was guilty of it as well. But the evidence speaks for itself, don't you think?
  • Gracie loves to come down to the basement with me when I go to do the laundry... there she always engages in typical puppy behavior - running full speed across the concrete floor, playing hide and seek with me and being generally ornery. It was cute when she would grab a sock from the pile and run off around the corner with it hanging from her loose lips... however, the last four or five times we've gone down, she has grabbed a piece of my intimate apparel and absconded with it as fast as she can, hiding under the coffee table in the play room... The kids take her down with them when they go to watch a movie and I hear, "Mom, Gracie's got your bra again!" Ugh. That thing is expensive. If she ruins it, I'll be furious. Why my black bra?
  • I currently have 8 unread magazines in my pile. I'm saving them for a weekend trip we'll be taking coming up... we'll be at the cabin of some friends. It's the perfect location to curl up with a magazine. I love hoarding my magazines for a trip like this.
  • I went dumpster diving yesterday... as I was driving home from taking the kids to school, I saw someone had set out a beautiful bulletin board/magnetic chalk board with their trash. I hesitated for a nanosecond, then pulled the car around and grabbed that baby. It's hanging in my studio... I LOVE IT! Can't imagine why they were tossing it - it even had the matching magnets stuck to it still. Oh well - as I've said before, another man's trash... you know the rest.
  • I finally got into my studio today to get something done. I bought a great doggie pillow for Gracie when I was in Portland with Brooke. I was going to save it for after the remodel, but I had stashed it in the studio, and when she saw it, she curled right up on it and made it her bed away from the crate. It was great to work to the sound of her snoring.
  • I found out last week that I get to go to CHA in January - for those of you who aren't in the world of scrapbooking, that's the Big Daddy of all trade shows... It's in Vegas this winter and my boss wants me to come along! I'm thrilled to go. Asia is going to come along to play tennis with his recently relocated (to Vegas) tennis partner while we wander the show.

So there - that's my list. Aren't you glad you aren't Asia? You'd have to listen to me ramble like that every night when you got home from work!!! He's so patient with me!

Good day to everyone!

Comments

  1. Anonymous3:58 PM

    Okay, I now love you forever and ever. There are lots of reasons why, even if I excluded the fact that you mentioned me in your blog today. First of all, you are the only other person on the planet that I know who hates Halloween. Snaps to you for that! Secondly, I just now figured out (call me lame, blind, and just plain slow) who you are at 2Peas. Giggle, how could I have not put two and two together before? That cracks me up. Third, I am so loving the dumpster diving story. Fourth (but not last), sit down... I don't know if you know this or not... are you ready.... I'll be at CHA in January. Can I scream really loud now, cuz that is about the coolest thing knowing you'll be there too. Okay, off to happy dance around the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kel - don't feel bad - it took me quite awhile to figure out who you were on 2peas... your avatar there looks so different from your picture on your blog! At least now we've got that info squared away.

    Hoo, hoo! CHA, here we come! It will be SO fun to meet you. I was excited to go to the show before, now I'm ECSTATIC!!!

    I'll have to start doing some sort of exercises to get rid of my double chin so you aren't scared... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:38 PM

    I love the use of bullet points. Yes, glad you shared so much. So nice to see how other peoples lives function. :) Thanks for sharing. T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I find myself almost as excited as you and Kelly that you get to meet. My experience with meeting a virtual friend has been such a rewarding, fun relationship. How fun that you are both going to be there at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit to being another avid hater of halloween. I hate the process of coming up with a costume, I feel stupid while wearing the costume, and I only ever ate about half the candy we managed to collect in the three or four years that I sucuumbed to the urge to trick or treat.

    I've been thrown into new throes of hating it this year, though, because a good friend is having a party that will require me to either dress up or dance - a prospect I hate nearly as much!! Ick... so, one box of temporary hair dye later, and a good friend who loaned me her scrubs and stethoscope and I am prepared to become a saucy red-headed nurse instead of a boring brunette academic! But hey - I don't have to dance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always thought "One Man's Trash" would be a good name for a band.

    "Another Man's Treasure" sounds like a country song about "cheatin'".

    Hello, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, of course we'll have to meet, Kelly. And yes, I'm sure you'll be even more chatty with Scott gone - and hey - maybe he'll read your blog then.

    Scott - love the band name - great idea. I've always been fascinated with band names. One of my good friends is in a band named "Trailer Park Girls." It's an all guy band...

    You're a funny guy, Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:52 AM

    In defence of Asia, it may not be that he has more clothes in the laundry. It could be that his clothes are just bigger and take more space in the washing machine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read