Skip to main content

Christmas eve eve eve

The chores are done, the kids are sitting on the floor playing a board game and the Christmas music is playing. Gracie is laying on S.'s back, all snuggled in for a morning nap. I'm about to begin assembling my Christmas cards so they can go in the mail today. That way at least the people who live nearby will get them by Saturday. The rest, well, they'll get there next week.

Having the kids home for Christmas break is interesting. I always have high hopes that we'll do projects together, make crafts and bake, do some deep cleaning and perhaps cuddle up together to watch movies on our snuggly couch. So far, that hasn't happened. We did get some Christmas shopping done the other day - they buy gifts for each other at the dollar store and wrap them up themselves. And yesterday we were able to go hang out with some friends and watch Christmas movies. But the idyllic "family time" stuff doesn't really happen the way I envision it. Unless I really make efforts to pull us all together, they find ways to keep themselves occupied and I have a tendency to steal away by myself when they're all happy and busy.

We're usually traveling for at least five or six days during the Christmas break - so this year with two full weeks at home seems L-O-N-G. I may have to dive into my bag of tricks and force some projects together just so we're all kept busy. It's always fun after the fact, it's just motivating myself to initiate it that is the challenge.

If Santa brings me the camera I'm hoping for, one thing we'll do together next week for sure is set up a little photography studio and practice taking pictures of each other. The older two especially seem to have an eye for photography - I'm amazed at their natural ability to compose shots. That will be fun. Assuming I get the camera. Even if I don't, I suppose we could do it with the old one...

If it stops raining (yes, it's raining, and the snow has become a terrible mushy melty mess) we may go do some letterboxing. Letterboxing is like old-fashioned geo-caching. All the fun without the technology. We've gone out several times and it's always fun. The kids love searching for the boxes and it gets us out of the house.

Bing is calling out to me. I'm going to put on White Christmas and start addressing.

Happy three days before Christmas, everyone.

Comments

  1. Anonymous11:50 AM

    Ooooo..... a new camera huh??? I hope you get it :)

    I think that us gals should figure out a way to get together in 2006.. truly, if I could actually meet some of you I think I would just flip with joy! I feel like we truly do get to know each other thru the world of blog. It is the best gift I have been given in 2005!

    Anyway, I am getting too mushy once again. Merry Christmas to you my friend. Love and Hugs to you and yours! Tawnya

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is letterboxing and what is geo-caching? Hmmmm, have I been missing out?

    Wow, I never knew what I was missing out on by having an electric garage door opener. You know....the kind that open up automatically....anytime. (Wink, wink)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Min - you can click on the link and get a website that explains letterboxing. It's SO fun... I'd love to go with you and the kids sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The link isn't working. Neither is the one for the Yumm Sauce. Now I really want to know what it is!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read