Skip to main content

Rainy Monday

We had such a lovely weekend, and my morning has rolled along swimmingly... I'm a happy girl with a cup of coffee by my side, my dog sleeping peacefully on her chair next to me and a computer on my lap. All is good in the world.

After my experience at church yesterday, I was looking forward to a big chunk of time this morning to pray and meditate on God's goodness... I got the kids off to school, put the dishes in the dishwasher, and jumped online to do a quick email check before I settled in with my blankie and my pile of God books.

And then I spent the next hour and a half being a part of a modern-day prayer chain. The church I grew up in used to have this prayer chain, where if you had a need, you'd call the first person on the list and they would call two people who called two people who called two people, and in just minutes, the whole church could be praying. Knowing that church, they probably still do this... I remember numerous times when the phone would ring and someone would answer it and listen, hang up, and then say we needed to pray. We would stop whatever we were doing and pray. Just like that.

This morning God used the internet to bring numerous needs before me... I was able to talk to my brother about a potential job change, and my sister-in-law about the death of a dear friend and their family's involvement in supporting the widow and her children. Through emails and blog reading I became aware of friends who need prayer over medical tests and family issues... it was a veritable influx of needs.

And the beautiful thing was, it came on, one thing after another for a good chunk of time - and then it just ended. And the house was quiet, and the dog asleep, and the laundry churning away downstairs - and I was able to go down on my knees and pray.

I prayed for Steve's new job possibility.
I prayed for sustenance and rest for Ken and LaChel.
I prayed for Robyn's medical tests today.
I prayed for my girlfriends and their families.
I prayed for Asia.
I prayed for my kids.
I prayed for my pastor and his wife.

I prayed and prayed.

Last week at bible study one of the women there described her day as one where she kept needing to stop and grab Jesus' hand... I love the imagery of that.

Today, I got to crawl up in God's lap and talk. And talk. And talk.

I love the experience of that.

One of my "intentions" this year is to pray more.

I pray God continues to bring me pressing needs and then blesses me with the time to take them to Him... there is much to learn about prayer, and I'm excited to see where God takes me on this journey.

2006 could be the year I spend on my knees.

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:41 PM

    Cathy,
    I love how you said "Today, I got to crawl up in God's lap and talk. And talk. And talk"... that touched me like I havent been touched in far too long. Thank you. I need to do just the same. It is hard when stuff is so broken in life... but isnt that when we are more apt to do just that? I dont know... I just feel so far away...

    thanks for giving me this to ponder this evening... I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *LOVE* the picture. Where did you take it? It is beautiful!! I desperately need a new banner picture!! I keep waiting for that beautiful snowy landscape. Hmmmm. I'm glad you had a blessed time this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love things that are comforting or cozy, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:31 AM

    I love this post...and getting to crawl into Jesus' lap....ah what each of us really seeks, even those among us who don't know it....thanks for sharing a little bit of you! I appreciate your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:53 AM

    I just love you. That's all... I just love you. Thank you for being such a positive influence in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read