Skip to main content

The stuff of crime labs...

"Mom?"

It was well past bedtime. I heard this little voice coming up the stairs a good hour after we had tucked them all into their little mattresses-on-the-floor-in-the-playroom bed arrangement that we let them have every weekend.

"What?" I growled. I always growl when someone is out of bed. It discourages the getting out of bed. (At least in my mind that's how it works.)

"E.'s got a bloody nose."

Now I hear a second set of feet making their way up the basement stairs.

And whimpering.

My Mommy super-action-hero response kicks in and I'm instantly at the top of the stairs, meeting my poor wounded and bleeding baby.

And I mean BLEEDING!

We head into the bathroom, where he leans over the sink. His hands are covered with blood. He's spitting and coughing and gagging on the stuff. It's a colossal mess.

Now, besides K.'s broken nose, we've never really dealt with bloody noses. I remember K'.s baseball coach (who happens to be a doctor) pinching his nose at the bridge to try to stop the bleeding, so I figure that's a safe thing to do. I think we're supposed to lean forward, not back like we did when we were kids. I pinch and I reassure.

It just keeps bleeding. Huge drips flowing endlessly out his darling little nose.

I venture into an attempt to understand what could have caused such an event...
"Why do you think your nose started bleeding?"

"Well," E. begins, "I had a really big booger and I was trying to get it out and then there was blood everywhere and I didn't know it was blood until it felt really wet and I got up to see why and there was blood all over my hands and, and..." He's losing it. I can tell the discovery of that much blood was pretty upsetting.

I take his little head into my my arms and shush him... "It's okay," while in my head I'm thinking "that booger must have been attached to the sidewalls of his brain to produce this much blood..."

After two-thirds of a box of Kleenex and about ten minutes the blood has slowed to an occasional drip. We begin to clean up a bit. There is blood all over the bathroom. All over his arms and legs and pajamas. On the carpet in the hallway. On the stairs. All over his pillowcase.

As I'm cleaning I'm thinking about FBI agents and how even though I think I got all the blood out of my carpet, they would probably have some sort of fancy blacklight that would illuminate it's presence deep down in the carpet fibers. I resolve never to murder anyone, because I would really stress out over trying to get the blood cleaned up.

Before I tuck him back into his freshened up little mattress on the floor, we have a talk about nose-picking. E. resolves never to pick his nose again.

The next morning, he is struggling with his resolve. Several times, he whines, "Mom, I really want to pick my nose..."

"What happened when you picked your nose last night?"

"Oh, yeah. But it's yucky up there!" (Hmmm - yet another reason not to pick in my book...)

So, I expanded on the nose picking lecture to explain that yes, there are times when we may need to "clean things up a bit" in there... but to pull something out that is obviously firmly attached is just asking for trouble.

To his credit, I didn't even know he picked his nose. I've never noticed him digging away. Heck, I see Asia doing it more than E. At the ripe old age of six he obviously understands the importance of being discreet.

And now he understands the importance of careful booger selection.

Another vital life lesson learned.

Isn't parenting fun?

Comments

  1. This was a great entry! I went right along for the ride through the annoyance and growling and superhero Mommy thing, and the horror and the I-hope-we-learned-a-little-lesson part.

    Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:10 AM

    OH MY GOODNESS! Girl, you are just too much! You crack me up something fierce! Seriously, you are a hoot!

    Hope you were able to get some rest after that episode! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:54 PM

    Funny... just a week ago or so Mack had a bloody nose incident that had to do with picking. Not as much blood though and so he is therefore still picking like normal. I deal with this as well, everytime I get in the car I look in the mirror and pick - my daughter points it out all the time - "Mom, why don't you blow your nose at home BEFORE we leave?"
    I don't know why - I forget and the car is the first place that I think about it. Kleenex in the car is a good thing.
    You are such a good mom - sigh. I want to be like you when I grow up. Loved your pics a couple entries back. You are so happily normal - I want to be normal today.
    Corey

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read