Skip to main content

Tuesday (feels like Monday)

I had written a long and lovely post yesterday morning, but blogger ate it. I was so disgusted with the whole process that I couldn't bring myself to re-write it. It's such a bummer when that happens.

I have a hole in my sock today - but since I had to dig to the bottom of a laundry basket to even find said sock, I'm going with it. My big toe is bound to pop out at any moment.

You've been warned.

I had to buy a new coffee maker this weekend. I prepared the pot for my morning cupajoe on Sunday, pushed the little on button, then went to wake up the kids. When I returned, fully expecting the pot to be full, nothing was happening. Nothing. No perking sounds, no glorious brown liquid dripping into the pot, no nothin'. Asia valiently poked around at it for 20 minutes, then declared it broken. Well, much like the time our tv broke when we were newlyweds and Asia somehow managed to find both time and budget to replace it that day (and we were poor as church mice then) - I managed to go out and get a brand new coffee pot Sunday afternoon. I just couldn't bear the thought of a day without one. Silly - but I love my morning coffee in my favorite mug.

I started a wonderful book on Saturday. It's called "Painting the Walls Red - the Uninhibited Woman's Guide to a Fabulous Life After 40." It sounds really pathetic when I read it there in black and white - I'm not really a self-help book reader - and I'm NOT 40 yet. But this book is amazing. I'm going to go buy my own copy (I got this one at the library) so I can mark it all up and underline some of the wonderful things I'm reading. Here's an excerpt:

"By thirty-nine we are reaching for our potential. There is so much more to give, to receive and to experience. We are honing our intentions, sharpening our interests, and discovering the fuel of our spirit. We are stretching
beyond what others told us we should be. We are finding our voice and becoming more than what we thought we were - more radiant, more ingenious, more discerning. It is in the second half of life that we really start to shine
."

I LOVE that. It seems like all around me people are struggling with their identities -experiencing some sort of mid-life angst... I'm not feeling the full force of it like some I know, but I'm certainly re-defining myself - pushing beyond the status quo and striving to grow. I love that this book celebrates life. I wish I could buy copies for every friend I have - but since I can't, I'll just tell you to go out and buy your own copy.

I haven't mentioned the dog for awhile. She's doing great - growing like crazy. She went in last week to be spayed. My puppy weighs 45 pounds now. Can you believe it? She was 13 pounds when we got her. She really is the sweetest dog. She learned how to "shake" last week - I'm trying to work with her on "roll over" but she really doesn't get it. She looks at me with her wrinkly forehead and her best confused face, then proceeds through all the tricks she knows, hoping one of them will be what I'm looking for. I finally had Asia help me, physically rolling her over as I led her with a treat to show her what I'm asking. We've got lots of work to do on it.

Asia gets up with her every morning. He lets her out to go potty, then brings her into our room while he takes his shower. She has a bed in our room, and she always lays down on it when he brings her in. As soon as she hears the shower start though, she's off her bed and she has to come say good morning to me. She puts her nose up on the bed, finds a little nook where she can burrow in and literally snuggles with me for about 2 or 3 minutes. Then, she's back to her bed. It's so sweet. She never tries to get up on the bed, never licks, she just buries her nose in my neck for a couple of minutes, then lays back down. I think it's just about the sweetest thing I've ever seen.

I'll be in Vegas in two weeks for CHA. I'm excited about the chance to travel for work, and I can't wait to take in the trade show. My dilema? Clothes. They're always my dilema. I want to look cute, but I also need to be comfortable. I'm stressing out over it big time. Really, what I need are comfortable shoes that are also cute - which apparently are impossible to find. I'll take any and all suggestions.

Here's another question for ya. Those of you who manage the household laundry... how do you get your kids to stop putting clean clothes in the hamper? My kids never want to put anything away, and of course, the hamper is the easiest way to handle all the piles of clothes, so they end up stuffing everything in there, whether it's clean, or dirty, or whether it's been worn or not. If it's not in a closet or a drawer, it ends up in the hamper. I'm so sick of finding clothes that really could have been worn again in the laundry. By the time I see it though, it's been lying in the hamper for a day or two with all the truly dirty stuff, so I feel like it needs to be washed anyway. It drives me crazy. Any suggestions? I've tried charging them $.25 whenever I find clean stuff in there, but that's a bookkeeping nightmare for me. Most of the time I just grit my teeth and try to ignore that I'm wasting oodles of time and energy, but I know that's not the answer.

Okay - housewife rant over.

Time to go put some clothes in the dryer.

Happy Tuesday to you all.

Comments

  1. Maybe we need to go shopping?! I'm going to Denver next month for 3 nights and so I think *I* need some new clothes too!

    The age old problem of clean clothes in the laundry. I remember doing it myself (and yes, occasionally, I still do.) I have so solutions, but I'll be anxiously awaiting any of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:17 AM

    CHA shoes - when I used to work that show (10 - 12 hour days on my feet) I always wore Monroes. I also work Dansko (I think that is what they are called). Both brands available at Nordstrom. Both brands highly touted for comfort. Both brands, spendy (the drawback). The key to keeping your feet comfy at CHA is to wear different shoes each day (so alternate two pair). Honestly, this works! If you are willing to spend the money on the comfy shoes, and do the alternating, you will not have a problem. I swear by this trick. My sister, the nurse, told me about this trick and she knew of what she spoke.

    If the $.25 did not work, then I don't have any laundry suggestions, unless you raise it to a buck, which I did once they reached the ages of 9 and 10. The dollar hurts them to hand over, but it is sure easier on the mom than keeping track of quarters.

    Happy Wednesday (that feels like Tuesday). Smoochies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the book recom!

    For the shoes, try Zappos.com. They have tons of shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:58 AM

    Hhmm... cute shoes... I will have to think on that one :) You will be darling in however you show up! That is just you! :) Hugs girlie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you charge the kids $0.25..my mom used to do the same with us..and believe me...over time, we realized it was easier to put (albeit most of the time shove) clothes in the drawer than to toss them in the hamper and be charged..or whatever the offense was. Thanks for sharing family life with us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read