Skip to main content

Recuperating




Why is it that we always have to pay the price for being gone so heavily in the early days after we return? I've got so much to catch up on after being gone for four days. Laundry. Dishes. Cleaning. Work. Sleep. In hindsight, sometimes it hardly feels worth it.

But hey - what am I saying? Of course it's worth it. It's just exhausting making that transition from girls weekend to real life. Every time, it's exhausting.

My weekend in Portland was great. The weather cooperated, and we were even treated to a bit of blue sky. I saw some daffodils in bloom and just the beginning tinge of pink on some of the trees. In a week or so, they'll be in full bloom. I love spring.

The convention was sort of ho-hum. I don't know if it's because I've gone so many times, or if the quality is waning, but I just wasn't that thrilled to be there. Now the company? That's a different story. Hanging with my Mom and our friend Jan and my best friend from Eugene, Brooke was so much fun. We shopped. We ate. And ate. And shopped. And laughed. Brooke and I even crashed a dance for the Baby Boomer's Social Club on the top floor of our hotel one night. Now that was a sight. Good times.

It's another busy week. I had a class to teach last night, a birthday dinner to go to tonight, and a bible study game night tomorrow night. Then there's another class Thursday night and work on Friday, with my brother and his family showing up for the weekend late that night. Soccer games start this weekend, so we'll go to a game. I don't know how it happens, since I purposefully make every effort to not have our family be over-scheduled... but somehow, we just seem to get busier all the time.

Read a great book over the weekend. Encyclopedia Of an Ordinary Life in an amazingly inspiring book - in that it's just a simple record (in alphabetical, encyclopedic style writing) of one woman's life. I LOVE the concept - and my mind is reeling with possibilities of how I might implement an Encyclopedia of my life - and my kids' lives - and our life as a family. It's a great book - an easy read - and full of laugh out loud humor.

My favorite line? When she writes about a college professor who once wrote on a paper she'd turned in: "Don't impress. Express." Ah!!! LOVE that. It fits so many areas of life. Art. Love. Service. Worship. Great stuff. I've been searching for the perfect words to add to the walls of my studio. I think I've found them.

So I'm back. And up to my ears in schtuff I need to do.

Off to put the clothes in the dryer and start another load in the washer...

How was your weekend?

Comments

  1. Oh sure, I *love* how you throw "a birthday dinner" in with all the other schtuff you *have* to do!!! How about something like, "tonight I get to spend some time with my dear dear friend who is so special to me and I'm really looking forward this exciting event?"

    Whatever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that book is one of my faves too... love it! Love that pic of you on that metal bike.. lol too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:15 PM

    I'm loving the pic of us on the bike. It makes me smile thinking of how awful the bar felt on my butt!! HEE!! I had a Fabulous weekend with you. It was a relaxing time and Good...Good Company!! Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:34 AM

    Man, I am tired just *reading* about all that stuff! *LOL*

    Glad you're back and had fun!

    M~

    PS I'll email ya about the grocery thing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read