Skip to main content

Sunday evening.

I had a great nap this afternoon, and it's now "Family Night." Problem is, family night often involves "family movies" and I have very little patience for movies made for children. They just don't hold my attention. So while the kids and Asia watch "Chicken Little," I'm trying to quietly click-clack on my keyboard. I'm feeling sneaky and a little naughty, but I just can't sit for an hour and a half watching animation. Drives me crazy. Chalk up another one for Bad Mommy.

We had a lovely weekend with my brother Steve and his family. They came over to help out in a church plant here in Spokane that was having their first preview service this morning. We got to hang with them all day yesterday, and even left the kids home last night with a pan of Costco lasagna so we could go out to dinner. Fun.

After a month of sick kids and a deliberate church hooky day, we were able to go to church together as a family this morning for the first time in a month. It was good. I love the tangible feeling of God's love I have there. It's thick. The message this morning was on leadership. Talking with the pastor after the service, he asked me directly what I think my leadership skills are.

I immediately got all stutter-y and ridiculous. First, I hate talking about my strengths. Secondly, I'm terribly afraid of being labeled. I'm also really nervous about getting involved... and I really want to follow Asia's lead in how we choose to serve. I also really don't know how to answer that question. I used to think (in my early 20's) that there was nothing I couldn't do. As I've gotten older, I realize that while I may have the ability and the inclination to do LOTS of things, that doesn't necessarily mean that's what God wants me to be doing. I'm sort of thinking through my reaction as I type, so if my thoughts seem scattered and a little preemie, it's because they are. I was a little taken aback by how nervous his question made me. When we started going to the ex-church and the pastor there asked me about my ministry skills, I rattled on endlessly about the ways I could be involved. Curious what changed in me to make me respond so differently...

Rob (the pastor) and his wife are coming over for dinner this week, so at least we'll have a chance to dialogue a little about it. Hopefully I'll be able to formulate some intelligent thoughts before then. Here's hoping. It's for sure something for me to pray about this week.

Had a good time with the kids a few days ago looking for marmots... a little known fact about Spokane is that there are a multitude of little hairy creatures just waiting to be found in the hillsides and rock croppings of our fair little city. Anyhow, the kids and I went looking, and even had an adventure with one (seriously) charging the kids. Great peals of laughter ensued... I got some fun pictures as the sun was setting. Afternoons like that almost make me look forward to summer when we'll have time to explore like that more often. So anyway - that's where the pictures are from...

Have a great week, everyone.

Comments

  1. I've never been to your blog before and just found you from Tawnya's! I live in the Seattle areas and never knew about Marmots in Spokane. How fun! With day light savings time beginning next week, summer is getting closer =) I can't wait, either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:28 AM

    Cathy,
    What a great entry. I am sure you will come up with just the right answer for your company coming this week so dont fret sweetie :) you are a natural leader in my book :)

    LOVE the photos! Just love them! My kids wont even look at me so a photo like that will have to wait. They dont even quite get the bribe thing yet either... maybe they shouldnt anyway... probably not a good idea huh? Well, I would probably do it though if it meant a good photo :)

    Hugs, Have a GREAT week!

    Love, T

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing great! Follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:24 PM

    Pete and I are not big into kid movies either. Inevitably one of us will lean over and make the "whoo-kish" sound to each other (that's the "this is a whippin'" sound in case you're not familiar with it...*LOL*)and then disolve into muffled laughter so no little people get their feelings hurt.

    I get the nervous butterflies in church these days too when "opportunities" are mentioned. Honestly most days I walk in thinking, "please don't talk to me or look at me or touch me. please."

    I guess I'm not quite where you are on the healing journey.

    This should probably have been an email, but I know how you love comments....*LOL*

    M~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:25 PM

    Oh and also, your kids are so beautiful. :)

    m~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read