Skip to main content

Tales from the dog house


So the kids and I were out of the house bright and early for a rehearsal at the school - we had to be there by 8:00. I got up early, took my shower, got the kids up and running, fed the dog, and had time to run to Starbucks before we went to the school. S. put the dog in her crate as we headed out the door, as usual.

Now, the crate is such a good thing. The dog is contained. She can't chew anything up or ruin anything or get into stuff she shouldn't while we're gone. Generally, she just sleeps until we return.

Unless of course, some genius decides to put something in her crate that doesn't belong there.

Now - I can't point fingers yet, because both S. and E. were in there when Gracie was being put away. So I don't know who decided it would be a good idea to put S.'s little yellow squishy pillow in the crate with the dog.

All I know, is that when I got home and went to let the dog out, the crate, the room, the dog and her blankets were all covered with what appeared to be snow. But wait. We're inside. It's not snow. No - not snow... little teeny tiny itty-bitty styrofoam balls. We're talking poppyseed sized balls. With magical clinging powers...

I throw the dog outside - I certainly didn't want her shaking and getting those little balls everywhere. Not that it would have mattered. They already were everywhere.

Now, I have a tendency to overexaggerate numerically. If I'm telling you a story about seeing a bunch of ducks at the park, I'll say we saw thousands, when in actuality, it was probably only a hundred. But I exaggerate not when I tell you there were quattuorvigintillion (that's 10 to the 75th power - I looked it up) little white balls all over everything.

And like I stated, they had secret powers. They could stick to vertical surfaces. And clothes. And blankets. And they could jump. And fly. When I tried to vacuum them, they were small enough that they could get out of the filter - but too small for the brushes on the bottom of the vacuum to pick them up. The only way to get them was with the hose.

So for 45 minutes, I hosed up those little teeny tiny white balls. I had to empty the filter four times. Into my already very full garbage can. I can't wait to see what happens when the garbage truck comes tomorrow and dumps those babies out.

I had to vacuum in between my toes to get them out. I vacuumed the vacuum. I vacuumed the crate and the rugs and the shoes and the walls and the hose attachments.

I can say with pretty firm conviction - forget the lake of fire - hell would be to be surrounded by these little white balls, with a vacuum that just keeps spitting them back out.

The poor dog had them up her nose. In her hair. Who knows if she ate any. I guess we'll find out...

So here's my little public service announcement for the day:
If you possess one of those really soft squishy pillows, and there's any chance that any creature in your house might ever possibly tear it or rip it or ruin it, don't hesitate. Don't wait. Don't hang onto it for sentimental reasons. Just throw it out. Now. It's much easier to toss it out now when all those teeny tiny balls are contained inside the pillow.

You do not want to vacuum them. Believe me.

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:01 PM

    Hhhmmm... I do have 2 of these things in my house right now.. do kids count as far as the animals go? Something to think about :) LOL

    Sounds like you had fun... you are so cute that is all I know. Hugs, Tawnya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the picture... that's just a small pile of the teeny-tiny balls... that's about one-millionth of the total pile I had to vacuum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:56 AM

    I was laughing so hard when I read this post my husband HAD to know what was so funny. then you had 2 of us ROFLOL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read