Skip to main content

Astoria, at it's best

I'm telling you, folks. There is no prettier place on earth than Astoria on a sun-shiney day.

Truly. The blues are bluer here and the air is fresher and the sun just a bit brighter... it's a glorious place to be on a sunny day. God must have made it rainy here just to keep the population down, because if it were sunny all the time, it would be hugely over-populated. As it is, the sunny days are few and far between, which makes them appreciated even more, and of course adds to their beauty.

We loaded the dog into the back of the car today and did the river walk in Astoria. After a quick stop at the Goonies house, we started at the east end mooring basin. This is where the sea lions like to sunbathe. We then headed down toward the Maritime Museum where we enjoyed a leisurely walk along the river. We took a short detour into town to buy treats at the Danish Maid bakery. I always have to get my Cinnamon Crispie and a Florentine. YUM. Even the flies buzzing around inside this Astoria icon do nothing to lessen it's charm. There's no better bakery anywhere. (Okay - the pattisseries in Paris were better, but that was Paris.)

Gracie was a trooper, wandering the sidewalks with ease and being very polite as we met people along the way. We ran into an off duty Astoria Police officer with a long history of owning boxers and Gracie got some extra lovin' from him.

I really do love this town.

We came home with just a quickie stop at Costco so K. could buy his DVD of Narnia... he's been saving his money and waiting patiently for it's release.

Tonight we'll have dinner at the Pig and Pancake and watch the movie.

Vacation. Good.

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh Gracie is adorable! We love boxers and own a mix who looks very similar to Gracie! Don't they have the best happiest personality in the world!? Zoey thinks the world is her playground and everyone is here to play with her.
    Have a safe and happy rest of your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:01 PM

    Cool stuff, makes me want to visit there. Since I can only remember driving thru.. glad all is going well you deserve some r and r. calendar went to press today and boy girl you have got a bunch of classes coming up.love ahh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:49 PM

    Cinnamin Crispies from Danish Maid!! Yumm. The only better Astoria treat is a plain vanilla ice cream cone from Dairy Maid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:53 AM

    What great photos! Love them! :) Good job girlie!

    Wish I could be there....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:40 AM

    I am terribly jealous today....I want to go to the bakery and walk along the river and see the sea lions...you are such a lucky girl. Very good memories and I am with Ken on wanting a chocolate cone from Dairy Maid. Since my parents moved from Astoria right after my highschool years, my visits are few and far between...it actually seems more like a story book memory for me (minus the crappy parts)...we are having a foggy, drizzly coastal day in Calgary so I have put on my canvas pullover and moccassin shoes- went to a coffee shop and everyone looked at me like I didn't belong - the west coast in me will never die. Have an incredible week - I truly wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:37 PM

    beautiful photos. So missing the Northwest right now. Even miss the rain - a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so knew that was the Goonies house as soon as I saw it! I adore Astoria!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read