Skip to main content

Friday - back in Spokane

We made it back early evening yesterday. The kids and Gracie did a stellar job on our 8 hour drive from Astoria. I'm always amazed at how well they do in the car. Good kids, all of them.

There are signs of spring all around - my daffodils are a good eight inches tall with fat buds just waiting to burst open. It makes me so happy. The grass is even starting to turn green. Winter in Spokane turns the grass a dreadful grey color - so I'm always thrilled to see it return to it's normal green color each spring. Of course, that means it's almost time to start watering again, which I hate, since we don't have automatic sprinklers. But it's okay. I'll water. The green grass is worth the hassle.

Spring Break is always a bit of a wake-up call for me. A reminder that my kids are not in school year 'round and I've only got two and a half months before summer's here. I organize our summers - doing 'summer school' in the mornings to break up the day and keep up all occupied and me sane... if I don't do this, the kids are bored by 10:00 am and I'm going crazy. But it's a lot of work to plan our agenda and even more work to implement it. I need to start thinking about it now if I'm going to be successful at all at making the summer a good one.

I have a zit on my chin this morning that is totally giving me the pointy-chinned-witch look. Not a good thing. It's red and swollen and nasty. I'll never understand why, at thirty-seven years of age, I'm still dealing with zits. Never had them as a teenager. But I've been fighting them for years as an adult. This one is really bad. I'm wishing I didn't have to work tonight. I'll be scaring people for sure with this baby on my chin. I find that people are particulaly polite when it comes to zits. Nobody mentions them - well, except for my kids. They have the uncanny ability to point out zits on anyone and everyone. I almost wish sometimes that others would point them out. Gently, and discreetly, of course. But I'd rather someone took me aside and said "Umm, you've got a whitehead the size of Montana on your nose" than walk around all day with it growing visibly on my face, totally unaware of the thing. So if you're with me, and I've got Mt. Whitehead ready to blow anywhere on my lovely visage, do me a favor and whisper in my ear. Then I can at least go pop it in the bathroom and relieve some of the pressure and social discomfort.

Wow - that was an interesting bunny trail.

Okay. I'm off to take the kids over to some friends' house to play.

Happy Friday, friends.

Comments

  1. I'll point out your zits, if you'd like! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:44 PM

    Oh my... I hear ya on the zits in the 30's issue... I hate it when that happens! I am sure you are delightfully beautiful anyways! :)

    Happy Weekend! Hugs, T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:54 PM

    Hey Cathy....
    Great photos from Astoria. I get to actually live and work here! I'm interested in these Tuesday self portrait ladies. What a cool idea. So......where is your zit photo?! :) just kiddin'

    And don't feel badly about zits....it just means you're full of wonderful womanly hormones!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read