Skip to main content

Baby, it's hot!

We've had three days of sunshine.
HOT sunshine.
Set the pool up in the backyard sunshine.

I feel badly that the kids are in school when it's this hot. There's no air conditioning at their school, so the classrooms are almost unbearable. And anyway, who wants to be in school when it's 90 degrees outside?

No one.

I gotta say though, I'm loving it. It's so nice after a cool-ish spring to get some hot weather.

I still really need that pedicure, though.

I went to the doctor today. Because of insurance issues, I've not been to a doctor for over two years. I haven't really needed to, as I've been healthy, but on my return to my beloved Dr. Jamison, I received a gentle scolding and was strongly encouraged to set up a full physical. You know, the 'take off all your clothes and put on this paper towel' physical.

It's time. Plus, I've been having some interesting symptoms, and it's probably a good thing to get all those important base-line readings for important things like cholesterol and mammograms and blah blah blah. Yuck.

I do really like my doctor. And he really likes us. So it's not that I mind. But really, I could just as easily go another couple of years before putting on that paper towel thing and sitting with my butt all stuck to the papery table covering.

Good thing - my blood pressure is normal. Even a teeny bit below normal. Everyone in my family has high blood pressure. So I'm thankful mine is still where it should be.

My doctor is a bit of a close-talker. Remember that Seinfeld episode about close-talkers? Classic. And really, Dr. Jamison gets in just a hair too close for comfort. I always feel the need for a fresh tin of breath mints when I'm headed to his office. Gotta be sure to have fresh breath when you're inches away from your doc.

So anyway, I've been having numbness in my arm. Sporadically. And totally painless, but there often enough that I thought I should probably see the close-talking doctor.

I had some x-rays.

Results by Friday.

If the x-rays don't show anything, we'll do some sort of nerve test involving electrodes and shocks. Won't that be exciting?

And next week I have to go to the eye doctor. I fear I may need bi-focals, as I find myself reading under my glasses all the time...

I've not been to this eye doc, so I'm not sure of his conversational proximity.

I'll be ready with my mints just in case.

I'm going to get new frames - which is always fun. Although I have people ask me ALL THE TIME if I got new glasses - and I've had this particular pair for at least three years. Maybe because I'm an dual corrective lens wearer, splitting my time pretty evenly between my glasses and my contacts. It's conceivable that if someone only saw me on contact days, they may have gone several months without seeing my glasses... but still - let's all try to be a little more observant, shall we?

I realize I'm totally rambling.

And now I'm off to figure out something we can eat for dinner that requires the least amount of heat producing appliances be turned on. I don't have air conditioning, so I'm a little anal about keeping the house cool.

Happy Wednesday friends. How's things with you?

***hugs***

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:56 PM

    Can you believe Astoria hit 91 degrees yesterday? Unbelievable. We are roasting, however, because our heat pump has been disconnected during the duration of our remodel. Back to open windows and fans. Oh well, makes you appreciate the A/C all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:23 PM

    We are roasting here in the North....very weird. The temp was 31C - which in american is like 89F...maybe...I don't remember Farenheit and conversion, etc. Oh my I am canadian. My body is not ready for this and I am sweating buckets. Oh well, it could be snowing next week, just joking...we hope.
    I had numbness in my upper arm a few years ago - I was sleeping on my side funny...I avoid the doctor, so now you have made me feel really guilty. My doctor avoids eye contact...I always wonder what he is looking at behind me - my beauty must be stunning, especially in the paper gown...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:55 PM

    Cate, don't you remember when they fixed up those wires to my legs and hit me with electric currant, i seriously begged them to quit, but then as you know I am a wimp. It's been very warm at the greenhouse, I have taken to soaking a bandana in cold water and wearing it on my neck. Of course I forget to get my regular maintence done on the furnance and appears the air cond is not doing to well and no appointment til June 7. Tee hee ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. could you send some of that heat and sun to OHIO!!!???!! :) Please!!

    Let us know how the medical stuff goes... no fun, but necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:01 AM

    Okay, the numbness is just weird. I get that too, but I ignore it... you know, ignorant bliss and all that jazz. I'll say a prayer for you that it is nothing but a little bit of poor circulation (they have pills for that!).

    Your sun: color me pea green with envy. I want to be home so badly right now. Your weather is TONS better than ours. Enjoy! Ya'll deserve some warm sunshine in May!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read a quote on that very episode of Seinfeld (Real Simple magazine has them)-- and I never know how to deal with close talkers except to reposition myself. I don't know how I would do that when my butt is on paper, though. This is also something I don't know how to deal with (since you didn't ask, you just get to enjoy Susie rambling...): people that have to fidget, like really fast crossed leg movements that shake the entire row of chairs in the waiting room that are all attached. If it was my husband, I would ask him to stop, but what are you supposed to do with strangers? Give disgruntled looks?

    I chose to shut my book and escape to the bathroom. Hmmph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:41 PM

    I seriously think my doctor has terets syndrome. He does a head sideways neck twitch every minute or so. Also, he has a practice of complementing something on me EVERY time I see him. It's usually something like "I really like your earrings" or "your hair looks nice". Last time it was . . . "those are really pretty - pause - pants". He was reaching because they were the boringest pants ever. All that to say he makes me uncomfortable but I'm too lazy to switch. Since we just found out his office is moving further away I may have to get busy and search for a new doc but 12 years with one guy is history making.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:30 PM

    Yup....the eye doctor will get even closer than the medical doctor. They put that big science fiction thing with dials next to your eyes and then you will be knee to knee and nose to nose as he examines your retina! Definitely take breathmints. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read