Skip to main content

School programs and walkathons

I realize pictures of the kids doing their various and assorted school activities isn't really that exciting to the general blog world. But since we have no family in town, and since I really like my family to know what we're up to, you'll just have to bear with me.

The following is a totally kid-focused, picture heavy post. Like it or not - this is my life, and I'm sharing it with you.

S. had her school program last night. It was a stifling 85 degrees in the gym where the program was held. Those third graders sung their hearts out regardless. A good time was had by all.

S. had a speaking part - and can I just tell you? She was so articulate. And easy to understand. And well-spoken. She totally reminded me of a pageant contestant. Blew me away.

And - I have to say - she is every music teachers dream - smiling her way through every song - singing with gusto, and intently focused on exactly what she's supposed to be doing. (This was in sharp contrast to the kids who were near sleep, rolling their eyes and merely pretending to know the words to the gazillions of songs they had to learn.)

Then - today was the school walkathon. It's an annual fundraiser for the school - and a community event in the best respect. Practically the whole school turns out, and kids who have long since graduated from elementary school return to walk. Cheerleaders from the highschool come. Clerks from the grocery store. Business leaders and local celebrities. It's a fun, fun afternoon.

Today - as our heat wave continued, the kids all walked until their faces were bright red. Cups full of water were sipped quickly, and the remainder poured over heads and necks and down shirts in an effort to stay cool. It was HOT. But fun.

K. walked 23 laps, S. did 25, and E. did 20. They're sleeping well tonight.

I love our school. Love the experience my kids are having there. We're blessed with a great school community - great teachers and for the most part, wonderful students...

Good stuff. Good.stuff.

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:18 AM

    wow sounds like a great school system and community... hannah starts kindergarten in september adn we are hoping to find just the right community to settle into for experiences just like this :)

    keep cool!

    we have been having nothing but rain, rain, rain and some more rain! but, the grass is green! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:10 AM

    Wouldn't you know that those events would be scheduled during the week of a heat wave? I think that makes them even more memorable. The weather, for some odd reason, can affect our memories. When the weather is intense (hot or cold), the memory seems to be stronger. I don't know how that works, but that's the way it is.

    Love the pictures. And I love her dress. She is so darn pretty! Yay her for singing with gusto. Gotta love a girl with passion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a beauty, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:46 PM

    Cath,
    I can't say I remember sitting in 85 degree school facilities but I do remember tired TUSHIS....
    sitting on hard bleacher seats watching our kids with pride as they sang, performed etc.
    Great memories, savor them....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Phlumpyschlumpy.

Good morning, peeps. It's Friday. There's frost outside this morning. *FROST!* This week has been ridiculously chilly. I'm having mixed feelings about blogging lately. Mostly because I feel like all I've been doing is whine about being tired. Or overwhelmed. And because comments are lacking. And because I can't seem to think about anything to write about except Tejan. And because some of the thoughts I'm having are too private for the blog - or too repetitive. Or too unformed to turn into actual words you all could understand. So I'm struggling a bit. And yet, I'm committed to documenting the process I'm in. So I'll keep writing when the words come. And when they don't, like this morning, when I looked at that intimidating blinking cursor and my mind went blank and I started to break out in a cold sweat and began by talking about the weather... well, then, I'll just gracefully (or not so gracefully) back out of the room... tail between m