Skip to main content

A tribute.

God uses people.

I have been privileged in my life to have numerous people placed in my life - people who challenge and uplift and question and prod.

People who build up.

People who set an example.

People whom God uses to provide friendship, stability, wisdom, finances, love...

People who are the hands and feet of Jesus. Literally.

There is a family who has provided all of those things and more to Asia for well over 20 years.

A family who embraced him at a critical time in his life.

A family who became mother and father and brothers to a boy who knew mostly only chaos in family life.

A family who pushed him to go to bible college instead of moving to L.A. to pursue modeling.

A family who paid the bill for said college.

A family who, when the time came, were the ones whose approval Asia sought regarding our relationship and potential marriage.

The Willis family.

My other in-laws.

These people truly loved Asia like a son. And when I came along, they loved me as a daughter. And yes, the kids have been loved as grandchildren.

They've included us in many family gatherings, from weddings to funerals to vacations.

They've loved us.
They've prodded us.
They've set the example for godly living.

Warren and Diane worked for Campus Crusade for over 40 years. They've lived on Guam, in Mongolia, in Canada, and most recently in L.A. - and been on countless short term mission trips all over the world.

They have given and given and given of themselves.

For me personally, I cannot fathom the depths of the impact they have had. I fully credit their obedience to God for helping Asia become the man he is today. His faithfulness, stability, and steadfastness are all products of Warren's wise example and counsel. I can say with full confidence that Asia would not be who he is today were it not for their willingness to take on that goofy, afro-headed boy on the island of Guam. If he hadn't had Warren to call "Dad," he may never have become the father he is today.

Several years ago, Diane was diagnosed with breast cancer. They moved back to the States from Mongolia for her treatment.

I have not known many people personally who are fighting cancer. But if I ever have to, I hope I could fight it the way Diane has. She literally chose to live each day one at a time, fully surrendering her every day to God's will. As long as she was given another day, she lived it with grace and dignity and God's love pouring out of her.

If ever there was a woman who exemplified a biblical woman, it was Diane. She was grace, and guts, and bravery, and gentleness and beauty all wrapped up in laughter and love. Feminine and soft, yet willing to live under any conditions, following her husband to the ends of the earth. She quietly and effectively held Warren's world together - for he is a man of vision and dreams - not of details.

Diane died on Sunday. The cancer finally took over her body completely - and she surrendered her earthly shell for a new, cancer free and sinless one in the presence of the God she served so faithfully.

A dear friend reminded me that Diane is now receiving her reward for the sacrificial way she loved Asia - and countless others during her full life here on earth.

I'm not sure if I ever told Diane that I loved her.

And that makes me extremely sad.

Because I loved her more than words can say.

She loved that confused, crazy, dreamer of a boy who became my husband. She loved him beyond words - and into action. She loved him enough to let him call her "Mom." She loved him enough to risk that he might pull her sons away from their faith instead of the other way around. She loved him enough to travel miles and miles to be at our wedding. And again, miles and miles to visit us numerous times in our home. She loved us enough to include us on what she knew would probably be her last trip to the inland northwest.

I will miss her sweet heart. And her lovely smile. And the little presents she always brought for the kids. And her calming and practical influence on Warren's crazy ideas. And her hugs and her wisdom and her love.

Sometimes words just aren't enough.
And then tears take over.

Goodbye Diane.

I love you.

We'll see you again.

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:27 PM

    Oh, what a beautiful tribute. How special for you to have had someone like her in your life - and the life of your husband. A true treasure.
    The best gift you can give, is to live your life in a similiar fashion - my goal. But, it seems, I fall short too many times. Thankfully, God is still teaching me. May you have a blessed day and sweet memories of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise said the words I had in mind: What a touching tribute. I'll pray for your family, that the Holy Spirit would bring peace and comfort, and the mourning would last only as long as it is supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry, Cath. What a lovely tribute. I hope Warren can see it! I'll pray for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful and moving tribute, Cathy. It is amazing how God can use one life to impact so many others. Diane sounds like a wonderful lady and what a lucky family you are to have had her in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:59 AM

    I love you. I am sorry to hear of this loss for you and Asia. Diane is having a party with our Savior now. Gosh that is amazing. Girl, you have no idea how you have made a difference in my life just through this blog. I wish.. I so wish we only lived closer. Blessings. T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:25 PM

    Beautiful tribute - I am so sad for your loss and the Willis family. I KNOW that she is with Jesus, and very grateful that she had come to terms with life and death, what a blessing - but I sure HATE cancer....it was too soon.
    Oh Lord, help me to be at peace with Your plan. I don't see clearly, but You do. Bless Cathy and Asia and be near to them. Amen

    Miss you and are keeping up with you. Will try to let you know what is up here in the mountains....chat soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:44 AM

    Cathy,
    You made Diane come alive to me--someone who never knew her. I hope when I go that someone feels about me the way you feel about her. And if it is any comfort, even if you never said "I love you" outloud to Diane, I am sure she knew in all your kind actions, in all your visits in all your connections between families--in how you chose to raise your children and love your husband. Actions speak louder than words--so I think she knew that you loved her deeply. Thank you for sharing about your family member. May your wonderful memories of her help you heal.

    HMBalison

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read