Skip to main content

Codeine, anyone?

I woke up this morning with the worst headache I've had in years. Truly, I could barely function. Talking brought tears to my eyes.

I told the kids I needed them to basically get themselves ready without my help this morning.

And that's when I had the privilege of seeing my almost ten-year old daughter truly rise to the occasion. She cleaned up after breakfast. Loaded the dishwasher. Made her little brother's lunch. Brought me a cup of coffee, complete with a homemade, taped-on-napkin sleeve so the cup wouldn't feel too hot. She reminded her brothers to keep their voices down. And made sure I had a blanket. And told me if I didn't want to bring cupcakes to school today for her birthday, I didn't have to.

She was such a blessing to me.

I called Asia, and he said he would pray for my headache to go away.

I took lots of ibuprofin.

And now I feel better. A little green around the gills, but my head doesn't hurt anymore.

Phew.

These pictures are just a few things that made me smile this morning, even in the midst of excrutiating pain.

Life's little blessings.



(I'm taking her the cupcakes.)

Comments

  1. Way to go, S!! My kids made their lunches and got ready to go to school on their own yesterday, too. (Read my blog for the dirty details of my illness. :-() I dropped them off at school, and took a sick day from work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i feel your pain. NOT fun. glad you are feeling better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's awesome - i think she deserves cupcakes! you should be very proud of her. :) glad you're feeling a bit better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

Phlumpyschlumpy.

Good morning, peeps. It's Friday. There's frost outside this morning. *FROST!* This week has been ridiculously chilly. I'm having mixed feelings about blogging lately. Mostly because I feel like all I've been doing is whine about being tired. Or overwhelmed. And because comments are lacking. And because I can't seem to think about anything to write about except Tejan. And because some of the thoughts I'm having are too private for the blog - or too repetitive. Or too unformed to turn into actual words you all could understand. So I'm struggling a bit. And yet, I'm committed to documenting the process I'm in. So I'll keep writing when the words come. And when they don't, like this morning, when I looked at that intimidating blinking cursor and my mind went blank and I started to break out in a cold sweat and began by talking about the weather... well, then, I'll just gracefully (or not so gracefully) back out of the room... tail between m...

The floodgates have opened.

So, I was doing pretty well managing my emotions. I kept telling people that I had processed a lot of my grieving over Tejan's departure back in January - when we were so close to saying goodbye... and so that must be why I wasn't feeling overly emotional about it this time around. I hadn't shed any tears. Hadn't choked up in that strange, overwhelming way where I feel like my whole head is filling up with fluid and my throat is so constricted I'm just sure I'm going to die. Nope. I was doing just fine. And then I went out to dinner with some girlfriends. And while I was a little socially inept because I'm a kind of overwhelmed and not really wanting to talk too much lately (perhaps in subconscious fear that I might touch on a nerve that would cause my aforementioned steely resolve to crumble) I thought I got through the evening fairly well. I didn't tear up - or need tissue for any fluids defiantly leaking from my facial orifices... until I made the a...

A year of lists...

  I've been blessed with a wonderful online group of friends for about 8 years and am joining them this year for a blog challenge to post one list a week in an effort to revive our mostly neglected blogs... I'm hoping to post a list each Monday starting today! List #1 - 2013 in review January: I got my first dent in my six month old Kia Sorento and it was a doozy! The car was totaled in a 19 car pile up on an icy Spokane hill. We were blessed by our insurance with complete car replacement with upgrades. Sorento #2 is working out just fine! February: I turned 44 - Asia and I celebrated with a little Spokane staycation downtown. Asia started working at Spokane Therapist - seeing his first clients and beginning to build his private practice. March: Kyler decided to quit running... having decided not to pursue a running career in college, he wanted to free up that after school practice time to work more and save more money for college. I was proud of his...