Skip to main content

Strawberry picking - 2007

We busted our little hineys today, first picking four flats of strawberries, then working all afternoon to make jam and syrup.

The kids set up stations - the stemming station, the mashing station and the stirring station, then they rotated with each batch. It was a great idea.

The stirring station had a stool at it - so it was of course the favored spot. Except the ladeling station, which was my station. And I wasn't giving it up to anyone. I don't want any sticky jam running down the sides of my containers.

For anyone who has not made jam because it seems too hard, let me tell you about a wonderful new-ish product that makes it so much easier than it used to be. I've always been partial to freezer jam, because I think it tastes fresher. And now, Sure-Jel makes a product that requires next to no work. You mix the pectin with the sugar, pour in 4 cups of mashed berries and stir for three minutes. Pour into your containers and let them set for 30 minutes. Voila! You have jam. Granted, stemming and mashing over thirty pounds of strawberries is no small task, but this stuff sure makes it a lot easier than it used to be. And it's SO yummy.

The kids did get weary by the end. My back was aching for sure, and I never made it to the stirring station to sit on the stool - I just went between washing and stemming and ladeling the whole time. I kept telling the kids what troopers they were and reminding them how great it would be to have fresh strawberry jam in January...

At one point, Savannah said "I wish Daddy were here so he could help..."

I replied, "I don't think Daddy would be helping if he were here."

To which she said, "Jesus would help."

"Yes," I said. "Jesus would help."

Kyler joined the conversation:
"No, I think Jesus would just stand there speaking godly wisdom, like,"
he mustered up his best Jesus-sounding voice and continued,
"Why dost though work so hard cutting all those strawberries when thou could just go to the store and buy strawberry jam?"

It was good for a nice long laugh from all of us.

When they were getting really tired and whiney, I tried to push them to the end,
"Come on guys - you've done such a good job. Let's finish well."

Kyler asked, "Is that from the bible?"

"Yes," I answered.

"Shoot."

*****
It's done now. We all smell like strawberries. But we've got 11 nice big containers of jam and two of syrup. And that's a great feeling.

Yay for strawberries and hard workers and Sure-Jel and freezers.

Yay for June!

Comments

  1. The conversations with your kids cracked me up!!

    You are a good Mom. Don't know if I'd brave 30 pounds of strawberries with just me and the kids. Hats off to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:01 AM

    I'm with Ethan. I think Jesus would just buy the jam from the store. That's what I do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read