Skip to main content

Keepin' it real

I've struggled with writing lately.

For one thing, my 'n' keeps sticking on my keyboard. Drives me crazy.

But really, the main reason is that stuff's been hard lately. And I'm hesitant to write about this particular struggle.

I'm not sure why. Or maybe I am sure why and that's why I don't do it.

But the truth is, I have tried really hard in the last few years to be real about where I'm at - what God is or isn't doing in me - and so in the spirit of maintaining an honest record of my life (which is why I blog,) I'm going to write.

And I'm not going to edit much... so forgive me if this ends up a little disjointed. Or a little harsh sounding. Or a little hopeless. I'm in this place where there is little resolution, so don't expect me to be able to wrap it up in a nice little box for you. It's going to be a little on the rough side. That I can promise.

I find myself in such a hard place.

So many of my thoughts are half-formed. I feel like my brain is doing it's darndest to keep itself disengaged from my heart. And yet there is this lonely, desperate feeling in my heart just begging to be addressed. But because I'm terrified of it, most of the time I'm just pushing through, doing whatever it takes to get through the day.

Pushing through.

We've had some really rough patches with Tejan.

His behavior has pushed me so far... and because he is not my child, I find myself confused and frustrated - feeling like I can't effectively parent him.

I think a huge reason I haven't wanted to write about this is that I want to protect him. I do not want to present him in a negative light. Because he is a remarkable boy. A boy who has been through more in his short life than I may ever face. But he is still a child - and an ornery one at that. And he's been a little pickle lately.

Tejan picks on Ethan. A lot. And then refuses to take responsibility for his actions. And while I can be strict and take away privileges, I cannot seem to help him understand how to soften his heart. It's so hard to see him full of bitterness and anger. Especially when those emotions are directed at my baby, who has such a tender heart.

And then there's Christmas, which presents a huge quandary for me.

T. worked really hard to try to ruin the two birthdays we've celebrated so far this fall - Savannah's and Ethan's. For some reason he was unwilling or unable to join in celebrating and instead chose to try to sabotage their special days.

Asia and I both worked for years at a group home for severely behaviorally challenged kids... and parenting kids who are determined to choose hardness and hurt over love and forgiveness is a skill we developed in our time there. But there was an emotional detachment there - it was my job. This is SO different. This is my life. My family. And this is a boy I LOVE. But when he chooses to attack my kids or try to ruin a special day for whatever reason, it's all I can do to maintain my decorum.

What in the world will Christmas be like?

I have no idea what to buy for Tejan, because he already has more stuff than he can take back to Africa, and has already been given many many expensive gifts from well-meaning people who have crossed paths with him. But I want him to feel special on Christmas, so of course I want to get him something. And yet, there's a part of me that doesn't want to get him anything. Because my heart is sort of ugly in this area. I feel like I've given SO much already... and he doesn't need stuff. And what he really needs I can't give him. And I'm afraid that no matter what I get him, he's going to choose to ruin the day anyway.

And then there's the whole fact that he'll be leaving us in less than two months. And there's this dichotomy in my brain... part of me wanting him to go (which leads to horrible feelings of guilt) and part that feels like I will want to die because it will be like ripping out a huge part of my heart to say goodbye to him.

So, you can see that there are some pretty distressing and exhausting thoughts running through my brain each day.

And this doesn't even really begin to address many of my them.

I feel as though I'm in the middle of this huge paradigm shift. That everything I knew is changing. That my world is no longer easily packaged. Instead, it is disorganized. Unsettled. Foreign and forever altered.

Even my faith is shaken a bit.
(It's so hard to admit that.)

I expected this whole adventure to strengthen my faith.

But right now I feel like I'm on shaky ground.

I told a dear friend the other day that I sometimes want like crazy to go back to what life was like before I started dreaming about Africa.

But I can never go back, can I?

And I don't really know how to go forward.

So I'll just live this moment.

And I'll pray and ask God to show me.

Show me how to do this.

Because I'm on uncharted, unfamiliar ground. And I feel like a failure. And I'm tired.

So just get me through this moment, dear Lord. And the next one... and the next one.

"Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." Psalm 25:4 & 5

Comments

  1. You are far from being a failure...you have many strengths and of course, weak spots as we all do :*) He will get you thru this and a year from now you will look back and that will be the time when you understand what you gained from this "life experience".....right now you are too close to gain a good perspective. Keep up the awesome job with those kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your honesty Cathy. I will pray for you. There are no easy and quick answers sometimes. But I love you. And God loves you (and Tejan) more than I ever could, and so I trust in Him to help you and lead you through this trying time.

    I have seen so many times that we dont fully understand what was happening in the big God-scheme of things until way down the road looking back. That may be true here. So maybe faith in this moment is just pushing through as you are. {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't begin to imagine all that you are struggling with. But, I totally relate with struggling. It sounds like labor (my favorite comparison) You can;t really get out of it, it's gonna hurt, you have no idea how long it will take, ....but the reward at the end will be quite something. God never has us labor in vain. You huncker down, breathe, and push thru the pain. Right?

    I hurt for you.
    AND I am hopeful for you.
    God promises good things in this, thru this, and because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, T, sounds so much like my son two years ago - I can completely relate. He made my life a living nightmare anytime an activity was not centered on him - and even if it was, he would give you ^$#$# for a week after it!

    The important thing is to just stay consistant, be ever so in prayer. Since he is leaving soon, well expect him to get worse - change is evil on little guys and he will act up. Just let him know he is loved and hold him close even if he does not want it.

    One day he will look back and remember you in love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:46 AM

    Cat,
    Taking a momentary break from a busy Sat to read my favorite things on the web...and came across your post. I will be praying for you today...others have said so many wise things that I don't have anything to add; however, as I am feeling some relational pain of my own right now, I promise to pray for YOU whenever I feel my own frustration start to rise!
    Peace,
    amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:18 PM

    Cath,
    Could there be some jealousy here with all of your kids having birthdays. Tejan may be feeling left out, like he is not special.
    Do you have any idea when his b'day is or does anyone know.
    How about giving him a special day all of his own. Sort of an unbirthday or something.
    Sometimes feeling left out can bring out all sorts reactions.
    Just a thought.
    We will be praying for you and everyone there!

    Love you - hang in there.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy- I had no idea how much you were struggling right now. Our GOd is so big, I know He will bring you through this season, building your faith in Him, continuing to mold and shape you. I will be praying for you, and Tejan especially, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cath, I'm praying for you!! I wish I knew what more I could do to help. Please let me know if I can do anything for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:38 PM

    Cathy,
    I read what you wrote with sadness and awe. I'm sorry for the struggle, but I can see why it has happened and why it has been so difficult for you and your entire family.

    Tejan sounds like a confused boy who is in the middle of a struggle. Some of what he is experiencing is a normal part of his age, I think, but the other part is related to his life experience.

    I'll pray for you that Christmas is not ruined--that you can find strength inside to parent T with love and firmness.

    Hang in there.

    HMBalison

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read