Skip to main content

Settling in

Life has it's way of ebbing and flowing...

This past summer was a deep ebb... a back flow of purpose and vision and a time of flagging ambition and confusion. The tide was low. I struggled to find the resolve to push past my perceived lack of relevance. I questioned my function and found a deep boredom settling in. Looking ahead to the continued 'moving away' of my children, I feared a complete loss of vision and knew it would be necessary to redefine my ambitions or I could easily be left dry and shriveled on the shore.

I'm so thankful to my dear husband and the friends who helped me find value in this forced retreat from what I've known for so long.

I began to see it as an opportunity instead of a loss.

And then, slowly, opportunity came.

And gratefulness began to permeate my thoughts.

And hope filled my bones.

God met me in a lonely place and said "But look here..." and I beheld a vision full of purpose and intention and promise.

And so now I lean into new opportunities and notice the beauty in the changes with which I'm faced.

The constancy of God's promises has carried me through a deep sadness and shown me that even when I feel lost, confused and hurt - He is still good.

There have been many opportunities in the past month to take my eyes off of myself and give of my time and my heart to others. Asia and I have both been called upon by dear people in our lives who are hurting in deep, deep ways. There have been many phone calls and front porch/back deck conversations with sweet, sad, bruised souls. It is such an honor to be an encouragement - a pointer to truth - a friend. In some cases it's been very close to home and the reminder to lean heavily on God's grace and mercy is SUCH a good thing. Resting in God's goodness regardless of life's circumstances is always the best place to be.

There has been a generous provision as well in terms of work - a new challenge - an affirming opportunity that is pushing me beyond what has become comfortable and teaching me new, exciting things. I'm so thankful for renewed vision and a new charge with added responsibility and fun new perks. I have so much to look forward to in the coming months and years and am so thankful for the chance to grow professionally.

So it's safe to say, life is flowing again for me. In so many areas there is a vibrancy that escaped me all summer long... and I'm grateful for the pendulum that swings wide and slow and with perfect timing.

Life is good. Suffering is good. Change is good. Low tide is good. God is good.

I'm thankful for the reminder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read