Skip to main content

Holding onto 5

S. has a birthday on Friday and will be turning 9 - so I suppose I should be posting about her - but I'm not. Instead I'll be writing about my baby, who only has a little less than a month of being 5 left...

I don't know why that transition from 5 to 6 is so big to me... it's when my little ones become kids in my mind I think. There's no fooling anyone that I have preschoolers anymore - they're all KIDS - with permanent teeth coming in all big and scary lookin' in their little mouths... with amazing vocabularies and no more cute little mispronounced words... Having my youngest leave all that behind leaves me a little shell shocked and bewildered.

Last night as I was tucking him in this was his prayer:
"Dear Jesus - thank you for this day. Thank you that we're all home safe. Thank you that I had a good day at school and Daddy had a good day at work. Help me to be responsible since I'm the leader of the boy club at school. Help me have good dreams and pleasant dreams. In Jesus' name, Amen."

Help me to be responsible? From a five year old? Wow! Yes, Jesus, help him to be responsible.

Then somehow our little bedtime talk took a turn and he started to worry about something happening to me. He asked, "Mommy, what if you die tomorrow?"

At first I just tried to make light of it - "Oh, nothing's going to happen to Mommy tomorrow..."

"But what if it does???" he asked through great heaving, barely-contained sobs. I pulled his fuzzy little head into my arms and held him tight and said what I always say when one of my kids is afraid:

"You need to not worry about things. When I'm feeling afraid I remember what the Bible says and I try to think about the things I know are TRUE. What do you know is true?"

He sucked in a big shaking breath and said "God loves me."

"That's right. And God is always with you, watching out for you. God always has a plan for you, right?"

"Right," he answered.

"Whenever we're scared, we need to remember those things. What else do you know is true?"

He looked up at me with his big, sincere, teary blue eyes and said, "John Kerry lost."

Don't ask me where that one came from. That election was a whole year ago - and while I knew my older two were very interested in the political process, and how we elect a new president, I had no idea my then four-year-old was even paying attention.

At least his comment changed the mood in the room, because I burst out in a huge belly laugh, which brought a smile to his face and helped him forget about his worries.

I treasure this little boy so much.

If I could save time in a bottle... well, you know how it goes...

Comments

  1. Funny!! My baby 6yo just turned 7!!! I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:05 PM

    Kids are so funny. Isn't it interesting the way their thoughts process. What a turnaround. So sweet.

    I bemoan the fact that my kids are so close to leaving my nest. I wish I had the years of 5,6,7, even 8 back. *sigh* It makes me happy that they are growing to be adults, but it makes me so sad that they aren't my babies anymore. Your words struck a chord with me today. This has been weighing heavy on my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love it when people talk back...

Popular posts from this blog

It came out of the faucet that way.

It's been months since I've had a "Getting to Know You Wednesday." Life's been a little crazy. So today, when life is a little bit calm and I've got the least chaotic week I've had for ages, I thought I'd jump back in. So today, if you leave me a comment telling me your most favorite-ist movie line ever, I'll enter you in a drawing for your very own copy of Josh Groban's new Christmas CD - Noel . It's a good one, folks. Classic holiday music from such a wonderful vocalist... you'll like it, I promise. I just want one movie line. Not your three favorite... not a paragraph. Just one line. The one you find yourself repeating. The one that makes you laugh every time. Your very favorite movie line of all time. And if you're the first person to name the movie my title is from, you'll get an extra entry in the drawing. Now, let's hear it.

30,000? For real?

So, if you scroll down to the bottom of this here blog, you'll see that I'm probably just a day or two from reaching 30,000 hits. That's just freaky. And in just under 2 years. (I didn't add the counter until after I'd been blogging for several months...) So in honor of almost reaching that milestone, this weeks 'getting to know you Wednesday' question is this: What would you do if you won $30,000? I like this question, because it's not an overwhelming number, and therefore not brain-freeze inducing. It's big enough to be able to accomplish some nice little projects around the house, but not so large that you have to worry about your third cousins from the Ozarks showing up on your doorstep looking for cash so they can put veneers on their teeth. Answer my question this week and you'll be entered in a drawing for 30 special little trinkets in a lovely little goody box. (And when I say trinkets, I mean trinkets. We're talking 30 little lovelie

Are you ready for this?

How did it get to be Wednesday? Seriously. There aren't enough hours in the day - even when you're up at 2:00 am. And no - I didn't get up at 2:00 this morning. I slept all the way until 5:00! Anywho - I decided I needed something new to blog. Something to shake you all out of your 'thoughts from the deep recesses' stupor. Something to get your blood pumping and your fingers tingling. Something to inspire long and meaningful comments. From you. My beloved readers. It's a new weekly Thoughts From the Deep Recesses feature. It's "Getting to Know you Wednesday" Now this could either be lots of fun, or it could just totally flop, and I could go to bed crying because my blog readers are a bunch of takers who only come here to read and never interact. Like a piece of fresh fruit, you squeeze the juice out of my hard-written and well thought out posts and then you toss them aside, wandering on to the next blog with a simple click of your mouse. You read